• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Dumb question - 1" x 8tpi thread ??

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
So, my Axminster lathe has a 1" x 8tpi thread on the headstock, trouble is I don't know what the thread form is.

I was considering getting a tap to make wood glue blocks that I could use without tying up a faceplate (I'm a tight wad).

So is it BSW or what ? The manual doesn't say and I couldn't get a result off Google.

Anyone know ?

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
just had a look in the MSC industrial cataloger and i think it is the 1" x 8 just a standard thread but the tap was £107

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
A common thread initiated by manufacturers of:thumbs: wood lathes in the USA, Vic Marc in Australia official distributer Timberbits dabbles in this thread as well check with David for more info may help you in the states they play that game I call manufacturer threads that caused me eternal grief in ,my former career as a sparkie you know the ones ulta fine or too course.

Anyway look up the US dealers and also VicMarc in Australia may help initially. There are many adapters for chucks especially. I was always grumpy as I standardised in !inch 10 threads for so long . Alas progress.

Kind regards Peter.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Phil

Have you bought one off ebay?
I went back not long after posting and 1 had gone so after placing my order there's now only 1 left.

Bob

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I bought one from RDG maybe more expensive than a £10.

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Make sure that it is the plug tap so that you get the thread all the way to the bottom of the hole.

Peter

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Phil
Have you bought one off ebay?
I went back not long after posting and 1 had gone so after placing my order there's now only 1 left.

Bob
I got 1 straight away because he had 3 if it was 1 id have waited for you to go first well done mate .

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
It might still be okay especially if you make the hole slightly deeper.

Peter

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
He probably had 3 for sale because they were all different, with a first second and third cut to make the thread correctly.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Just remembered I used to buy machine nuts to make my own small faceplates etc and weld them to large washers up to 1/4 inch thick ones and predrill the washers with c/sunk holes to fix the timber on also to make my own outside hand wheel after welding them making them dead square on the metal lathe using a machine bolt that size of the nut in the lathe chuck with lock nut to hold it in place. I always prefer machine nuts and bolts they run true and are superior in every way, right is might IMHO. In the 1070,s a mate of mine said to me but you cant weld so I went to second hand place bought a welder and for a while the welds looked like a chook had passed over the welds but in a while no worries especially these days with electronic control welding masks to leave both hands free and so very cheap. Then you can custom build tool rests of all sizes and shapes as well. Also handy vacuum chucks the list goes on.:thumbs:

Kind regards Peter.

MikeD

Registered
The 1" x 8 tpi will probably be a UNC thread i.e. a 60 degree thread angle and on machine tools is referred to as a TA04M.

A BSW (British Standard Whitworth) 1" x 8 tpi has a 55 degree thread and will often fit as long as you are not looking for a high precision fit. As you want the chuck or faceplate to register against the shoulder you would get away with it

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Mine arrived this morning so great service though I won't have time to try it out just now.
I'm sure it will be ok. Thinking back, some of the faceplates I made for the Tyme I drilled right through and put a wood spacer behind to keep it forward of the spindle thread. i don't recall having any problems.

Bob

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).