• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Best value chuck to buy

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
The only chuck that I own is a dedicated pen chuck. Which chuck do you chaps recommend for me to buy, to be able to carry out the same job that Paul's tutorial on cartridge case pens shows him doing. I don't want to spend a lot of money as my d/pen chuck will still be my main stay. Paul hope you don't mind me using your photo for illustration purposes.

P.S I know absolutely nothing about chucks.

Attachments

• P1040786.JPG
    P1040786.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 53

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Well paul looks like a super nova 2 from what i can see you could get a Record g3 which i think is good value

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Ed the if chuck you have will close down on case then just use that if your worried about damaging the brass put some tape around the it I used the axminster K10 when I made the ones for H 4 H on which I had to grip the shell to drill it out

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
I have a record Supernova2 and a record G3 which is cheaper, but it's the one I use all the time. £109 including three sets of jaws, if memory serves.

If you get a Revord/Nova or a Sorby Patriot the jaws will be interchangeable BUT if you get an Axminster the jaws don't swap to any of the others and vice versa.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Why don't you just use the chuck you've got Ed? the wood doesn't need to be that big, just big enough to have an 11.5mm hole in it.

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Why don't you just use the chuck you've got Ed? the wood doesn't need to be that big, just big enough to have an 11.5mm hole in it.

Thanks guys ... I'm a bit dim at times and then the penny drops .A square blank with a 11.5 mm hole will do just as well and fit in my pen chuck too. What a plonker !!!:rolling::rolling::rolling:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Thanks guys ... I'm a bit dim at times and then the penny drops .A square blank with a 11.5 mm hole will do just as well and fit in my pen chuck too. What a plonker !!!:rolling::rolling::rolling:

Ah, its been a long week or two... :bwink:

Jim

Grand Master
Just seen this Ed, pleased that you thought it out .. :bwink: If you really need a chuck keep an eye on ebay for a second hand one, you never know you may just drop lucky .. :bwink:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).