• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Vacuum Chamber

nimrod

Graduate Member
First Name
Robin
I bought on ebay a set up that can be used for vacuum or pressure, it needed some new bits and I have now got it setup. At the moment I want to use it for stabilising blanks, on test it pulls 23 inches of vacuum, is this enough or should I try a bigger pump.
Robin

Jim

Grand Master
That is adequate for stabilising pen blanks Robin.. Please show us your results as i and a few more on here are very interested in this project ... :bwink:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I look forward with interest to seeing some results from this.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Hi Robin.
Whilst a small amount of vacuum will do for stabilizing, that is more about the solution chosen and method of impregnation than force to impregnate. Click me
I am interested in your measurement process having not heard of the inches for vacuum, other than used by refrigeration engineers. The measurement of vacuum is dependant upon so many variable factors, Temperature, altitude, size of aperture all affect the viscosity of mercury and its ability to flow in the measuring device.
Also measuring devices vary from one system to another so a reliable measurement cannot be given from one device to another .
I sound like a know-it-all bugger here but I had such machinery in my old unit which was tested by MOD to over 800 psi pressure and down to 30 Mercury's vacuum.
The pressure was within an acceptable margin of tolerance but the vacuum was way offline, my equipment was measuring only 18 mercury's when theirs was measuring 30.

Deleted the rest of post cos My god did I go on and ain't I boring init?

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
It's never boring to get info you need and even if you don't need it, it's always good to learn something new.

Peter

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Hi Robin.
Whilst a small amount of vacuum will do for stabilizing, that is more about the solution chosen and method of impregnation than force to impregnate. Click me
I am interested in your measurement process having not heard of the inches for vacuum, other than used by refrigeration engineers. The measurement of vacuum is dependant upon so many variable factors, Temperature, altitude, size of aperture all affect the viscosity of mercury and its ability to flow in the measuring device.
Also measuring devices vary from one system to another so a reliable measurement cannot be given from one device to another .
I sound like a know-it-all bugger here but I had such machinery in my old unit which was tested by MOD to over 800 psi pressure and down to 30 Mercury's vacuum.
The pressure was within an acceptable margin of tolerance but the vacuum was way offline, my equipment was measuring only 18 mercury's when theirs was measuring 30.

Deleted the rest of post cos My god did I go on and ain't I boring init?

Brian,

Kettles on and I've cleared up my workshop so you can actually get in it without falling over some log. Can you come over and bore me about it as I want to get a pressure/vacuum system!

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I'll bring mine over and bore you at the weekend mate.
My phone is bricked at the moment wile flashing roms so email or pm me if you wanna chat init?

nimrod

Graduate Member
First Name
Robin
Hi Grump don't know much about vacuum measurement just read the gauge which registered 23 ins-HG, hope this makes more sense to you than it does to me.
Robin

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Robin you have just explained probably more than you realize.

The term, ins_HG is the old term for inches of Mercury which is still used by some folk in the ventilation and refrigeration industries,
I suggest therefore that is where your equipment originated.

Your test now would be to leave it at least overnight and see how much of an atmospheric increase you have.
This test should be timed and an allowance calculated for climate (temperature and altitude) changes, expansion and contraction of materials used.
Then a spreadsheet made up to collate this information on a calendar basis using the guidelines that In English units: 1 inHg = 0.491 098 psi, or 2.036 254 inHg = 1 psi. + or - 20%.

Over a period of time you could form a reliable gauge of measurement and reliability.

Or you could ignore all that and rest assured that what you have previously declared is allot of damn suck, believe me you wouldn't want it on the end of your vitals so don't be tempted to make love to it.
If it were controlling the brakes of Jumbo Jet you might want to get involved in the measurement of suck but for a few plastic blanks I fancy you will not be bothering.

nimrod

Graduate Member
First Name
Robin
Grump hadn't thought about the vitals, but do you think it would have an effect on the dimensions of the vitals.
Robin

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Grump hadn't thought about the vitals, but do you think it would have an effect on the dimensions of the vitals.
Robin

OOOHHH painful at your own risk dear chap.

I once had a young lad experiment with the industrial vacuum cleaner at work when I had my unit.
This happened after I had gone away for a few days on business all I found out was that he was trying to claim injury to his intestines due to my neglect for not having a sign
DO NOT SHOVE T|HIS UP OUR ARSE.

nimrod

Graduate Member
First Name
Robin
Perhaps I will stick with what I've got.
I used to be a nurse when I was working on A&E we had a chap come in with a bottle of Old Spice in his anal orifice, said he was drying himself after he had a bath slipped and sat on it, we did think it was a bit strange he had upset baby oil on it.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Perhaps I will stick with what I've got.
I used to be a nurse when I was working on A&E we had a chap come in with a bottle of Old Spice in his anal orifice, said he was drying himself after he had a bath slipped and sat on it, we did think it was a bit strange he had upset baby oil on it.

At least it wouldn't be too bad if he farted!

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).