• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Part two Ash bowl

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Bowl I think may be finished not sure about the rim I may change it so I have left the chucking reassess on the bottom for now it is 9" x 3 1/4" finished with two coats sanding sealer about 4 coats friction polish and 3 applications of libron woodturners stick Violet loves it but I'm not sure what do you think
DSCF1970.JPGDSCF1971.JPG

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Hmmm, I assume you were after a rope effect ?

To be honest I'm not sure and I think because the lines don't look evenly spaced is what is causing me doubt.

Sorry, I realise I'm not exactly one to be offering comment on your work, but that's what I see.

:thinks:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Hmmm, I assume you were after a rope effect ?

To be honest I'm not sure and I think because the lines don't look evenly spaced is what is causing me doubt.

Sorry, I realise I'm not exactly one to be offering comment on your work, but that's what I see.

:thinks:

I did ask what you al thought and I do like an hones opinion so thank you Phil the lines are evenly spaced I think it must be the photo but I dont think I have made the angle of the lines right right but hay ho it was fun

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Looks like you have done 45 degree maybe 60 would have achieved what your after.
Still looks good to me dad, I wouldn't throw it out init?

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Apart from the shape, the finish and the wood, what I like about this bowl is that it doesn't look like its mass manufactured in some sweat shop in asia somewhere. Making the lines 60 degrees would make it look more like rope but if was a bread plat then 45 might be enough. aesthetically it is pleasing and I like it.

I'm not trying to poo poo your comments Phil or say they aren't valid because they are important feedback for Woody and the importance of the forums integrity. These are just my thoughts.

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
I think Paul (above) has it exactly right! Anyone wanting a symmetrical finish wouldn't buy it, but remember, most customers stopping at a woodturner's shop or stall will be looking at what you have made, Woody. So go for it and ignore any adverse comments!:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Bob.

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
I had a another look and it may be as you say Woody it might just be the picture, but here's what "threw my eye" as it were.

1 looks smaller than 2 to me.

Capture.JPG

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Yes Phill looks like your right mate I was thinking of removing it and do an ogee but Violet has nicked it for a fruit bowl so do I dare to change it LOL

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Violet has nicked it for a fruit bowl so do I dare to change it LOL

Well that spells success in anyones book!

Nice individual bowl, I would have been very happy with that myself even though I do a bit of carving sometimes. Nice finish as well.

Bob

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Great bowl mate reminded me of Grandmas pie crust design only much better, like the diamond dealers say natures features confirm the owner value of this precious commodity likewise hand made wins every time. Recently I made something for a couple I saw imperfections she saw home made I said leave it on your counter as a card holder she said not likely someone might touch it. I thought blimey does not look frail then she said and I believe the majority say I love personal hand made products value them highly.

Followed the sequencing and I too support her indoors who snaffled such a lovely bowl.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Well if Vi says yes then yes it is...:thumbs:

like it, and nt being "to perfection" on spacing looks no mass produced as Paul has said in his thread.. :thumbs:

I first looked at in then "double take" meant that it was something different and I would put my fruit in it anyway..

Jim

Grand Master
Me, i wouldn't change a thing, maybe on your second attempt you may do things different, but i love this one, it has a very nice shape to it Woody, well done my friend ... :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).