• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Requests

Jim

Grand Master
Just before Christmas i was asked by two reps if i would make them some pens with their company logo on them, i declined this offer as i treat pen making as my hobby, i don't want to be made to go in the shed, i like to go in when I want to go in and make whatever comes to mind.. How do you feel about it? They still bought pens from me, and one came back on Friday asking me to make him four more, to be ready for the end of February .. Right up my street ... :thumbs:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
I know what you mean Jim. I've had two separate people offer to do me a website but i declined both times. I do not want the commitment. I work full time and long hours. People do give me commissions but i tell all of them that it will get done when I get time.

keith

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I agree with you Jim turning is my hobby and I dont want it to become a business in fact I wont allow it to I have had several offers over the years all of which I turned down but dont get me wrong I do like to sell what I make but I also like to make what I want to make not what I have to make

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
I agree with you Jim. I was asked for some just before Christmas and I didn't have the available kits from Timberbits. I managed to get the kits in time and complete the request. This will not happen this year as I intend to build a stock up of various styles and if anybody wants a pen then they can have one from stock. After all it is a hobby and I am not going to be put in that position again. If I haven't got what they want TOUGH !!!!

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Yep I'll take it on, I need to I have no work.
Whatever whenever but at my price like it or lump it.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Yep I'll take it on, I need to I have no work.
Whatever whenever but at my price like it or lump it.

I was thinking of you Brian and your chimneys as I was typing my comments it would be a different story for me if I was in your position Mate I would do the same as you but thank God at my age I dont have to now

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I have built up a stock of pens and have 2 shops selling them and now that I'm exceeding production to what they sell I'm setting up a web site. I also wouldn't like to be in a position whereby I was forced to make them but I just can't stop making them and the CMM says if I don't sell them I've got to stop making them. It was hard to disagree when her foot was on my windpipe.

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Fellow
I keep a little stock made up just in case.
It is a hobby not a business to me. I don't sell enough to make it into a business anyway....:winking:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Some 8 or so years ago I made a pen for our 50th wedding anniversary to give a Huon Pine burl pen to every male member of our family the exercise was worthwhile and lengthy however I started months before and it was easy doing them my way when I made time. A kitchen manufacturer asked me to make pens Corian and Timber from material used in his kitchens but knowing his turnover of kitchens was well in excess of twenty per week no way Jose I know him well and he is a just in time guy and when I retired was the last time anyone dictated emergency turning, feel better I kept out of commercial turning also people want you to do them wholesale in bulk something else to avoid.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
I make pens in my time If they go on my website and sell ..then fine, if they don't sell that's OK too. It's only a hobby for me after all.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
I keep six or seven just in case, but never had to use them yet.

I get thoroughly bored of all the requests that I have had to put company logos on pens. The last contract that I bid for was for 300 streamlines for an over 40s introductory party company (otherwise known as cut the prelims, your place or mine). I went home and said to the wife, yeah yeah blah blah, got it in the neck for being pessimistic, bloke wanted them in 30 days, reckoned I could just about do it as I have turned 50 streamlines in a day and not gone too barmy before. Never happened.

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
I'll make a pen for someone but don't know how to make logos nor do I want to. A pen should be bought because of its looks and usefulness - not as an advertising stunt for some company or another. I don't buy a car covered in adverts - so why buy a pen like that?

Bob.

dotslad

Graduate Member
Happy new year to all.
I never take on commissions as turning is my hobby and I do as I please I spent far to many years doing what other people wanted me to do.

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
I only sell what has been made & is on display, end of. I'll sometimes be asked if I have one in a certain colour wood, if I don't & I have a pen kit in the drawer I'll make it in my time.
Like most of you, I work long hours in a full time job, I keep my hobbies separate & fun. I don't advertise nor have a website, my choice.
I do sell most of what I turn, word of mouth & a couple of Christmas fairs only tho, no pressure on me that way, except when Paula says 'that's mine you can't sell that one'' which means I wouldn't have anything to sell if I listened to her !!!

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Neil,

Sympathy on your need for mass production needs from time to time I also met a guy in your position making a living from pens who bought custom ground drills ground to exacting standards as he never glued any brasses into the blank but pressed them in and he developed fascinating methods to really jet speed his processes. Just thought this one worthy of thought to pass on.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).