• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Yesterdays trip to a famous wood gallery

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Prompted by a comment I made yesterday morning later in the morning we went to the small town of Bungendore some 50 kms from here for two reasons that will become obvious as i progress.

Please select GOOGLE,,,,, then inquire Barry Black Bungendore Wood Wonders Gallery.

Whilst having learned more of Barry Black then click on Hannah Cabinet.

Many years ago now (sound familiar?) on the front page of our largest circulating Auusie Wood magazine Australian Woodworker was a pic of Barry Black and a headline umpteen thousands of pens later Barry etc , I read this with enthusiasm and drove the two hours to where he was living on the Sth Coast of NSW the state that surround the ACT where I live, he Barry welcomed me (phoned him beforehand) he then absolutely blew my mind with his outstanding knowledge of timber, his stash and his incredibly fast methods of production.
Mental notes I made then 1. He never roughed up a brass he routinely started and finished pens in the shortest time with a CA finish I have ever seen.
2.He used custom made drills with a firm press a little CA never had a twisted brass or a returned pen for this reason in hundreds of thousands he had outlets legion.
3.He drilled flat out never changed speed but feathered the difficult blanks by drilling in and out a lot.
4. He used his fingers to apply CA.
He made me a very welcome guest and invited me to stay for a few days ( I thanked him and declined he and his wife were devoted and comfortable).

Could go on but the other full time occupation I knew him as the Demel Demo King of Australia what I intended to do was view and photograph his carved Boots he used to cut and carve and polish on his demos all round Australia huge distances the boots made from the timbers of the world mind boggling beautifull IMHO and thousands of others.

Well it seems Barry died at 84 yrs of age a couple of years ago and before that his collection of 420 carved boots was sold I know he refused offers of 100,000 dollars in the past and left them at this gallery for many years as a feature display.

Reason two for the visit was to see a Cabinet made by Geoff Hannah a mind boggling display of perfectionh in Veneered and solid exquisite timbers with hundeds apon hundreds of secret and obvious drawers, Wilma and I met Geoff on his first visit as a Professional Cabinetmaker as an artist in residence at The Australian National Universty Degree wood Workshop for most of a year. This in the early 1980,s organised by The A.C.T Woodcraft Society meeting where I joined the Guild and later became a life member.
At that time Geoff had on display at our Parliament house a much larger cabinet for sale at that time for 3/4 of a million AU.

Run out of time please look up the two guys work on the web I am in total awe of the both of them. Tell me what you think also look at the current catalogue of Bungendore Woodworks.

Kind regards Peter.:goesred:

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
Peter - Just had a browse as you suggested.

WoW - Something really special. Can't get over what went into it, 18 doors, 140 drawers with all that marquetry inlaying - astounding...
Must have been a brilliant day out. Thanks for sharing.
Amazing....

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Absolutely speechless, what quality, dedication and skill.

The cabinet is deceiving, when you see Geoff standing next to it then you realise the size of it.. Stunning work..

Thanks for sharing it with us Peter..

Jim

Grand Master
Even his spinning tops look like masterpieces... :eeeeek: And those boots caught my eye before clicking onto the cabinet .. Unbelievable .... :pray:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
How can a thing to hold an iphone be so simple but look so impressive.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).