• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Bleed over

oldtimer

Apprentice Member
I got a nice plank of Paduak and a nice piece of spalted sycamore. I am into segmented turning ( among other things ) but I find when I sand up a mixture Paduak and sycamore I get bleed over in the colours.
Has any one else come across this problem, and how did you get over it?

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
You have chosen some difficult woods to work with as a combination Paduak being a hard wood and full of dye and the sycamore being soft and suseptable to picking up the colour.
Seal the wood before any rubbing down will help. sanding sealer or ca will do the job for you.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
As Grump said, a liberal application of sanding sealer before any sanding. After sanding use an air hose to blow the dust out, then wipe/wash with lacquer thinners. Works for me!

Jim

Grand Master
I have also sanded the lighter wood separately with the lathe stood after wiping it with a bit of turps .. :bwink:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Not too sure on using turps as this is a solvent it may be the problem. Just a thought.. :thinks:

I wondered same but they must know something I don't, firstly I wouldn't go near with any liquid unless it is the sealant.
Secondly when turps or white spirit dries it leaves a residue of white dust to be wiped off before progressing.

Jim

Grand Master
Not too sure on using turps as this is a solvent it may not help. Just a thought.. :thinks:

Used it many times on Holly when segmenting Rowdy, left to dry, sand and finish, used like a bleach .. I picked this up from a Scotch kid who had his own pen site a few years ago, don't recall his name but will do a search in time .. :winking:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Used it many times on Holly when segmenting Rowdy, left to dry, sand and finish, used like a bleach .. I picked this up from a Scotch kid who had his own pen site a few years ago, don't recall his name but will do a search in time .. :winking:

I know of people who do use it but can think of no earthly reason why. Turps has now bleaching qualities I am aware of and bleach itself turns wood brown.
Have you actually noticed your wood to be any whiter afterwards Jim?
I am interested in the reasons for people dampening wood while finishing it I know of several who do.
Then leave it to dry before progressing their work, I find this odd behavior as it was dry before you soaked it.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
We used to use turps after denibing with flower paper between coats of lacquer if we run out of tack cloth but not on bare wood

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
But if it was sealed there would be no bleed.
And why Turps, would water or meths or something else not do the same or better job?
I just wonder who was the man who saw an egg coming from a Chickens arse and said I wonder what that tastes like??
Whoever took a Brussels sprout in the first instance and boiled it for 4 months only to throw it away because it was still undercooked.
I just wonder sometimes you know what I mean would you fall off if you went too close to the edge??
What does electricity taste like?
Are my piles because I sat on the cold floor as a kid?

Jim

Grand Master
Don't know what you are trying to prove Brian? I simply stated what i have used that worked for me and would use it again? Each to their own I guess.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
I just wonder who was the man who saw an egg coming from a Chickens arse and said I wonder what that tastes like??[/ QUOTE]

& did he eat it raw, shell & all :nooidea:

When you think about there must have been some strange buggers about years ago when things like this were first tried out, though they probably didn't last long

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
I am interested in the reasons for people dampening wood while finishing it I know of several who do.
Then leave it to dry before progressing their work, I find this odd behavior as it was dry before you soaked it.

Brian, one could say the same about the curious human habit of bathing. We're dry; then wet; then we get dry again! Weird! :tongue:

Joking aside, if the wood is dirty (with sawdust and sanding grit) washing it is the most effective way to clean it. I use lacquer thinners because it leaves no residue. Simples!

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).