• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

A couple of tealighters

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
The one with the larger tealighter is made from Camphor laurel and doesn't have any finish on it.
The one with the violet detail is made from cherry and is finished in acrylic satin lacquer.

Attachments

• 019 (640x480) (400x300).jpg
    019 (640x480) (400x300).jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 022 (640x480) (400x300).jpg
    022 (640x480) (400x300).jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 24

Jim

Grand Master
I have said it before Terry, i love these, especially the Camphor one, without any finish makes this look great ... :bwink:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
First Name
Terry
Cheers Jim. When I was making the camphor one the smell in the shed was the strongest smell of Camphor oil I have ever known and it lasted for days before it cleared. Same with shavings that went in the dustbin. Never had a cold this winter I wonder why????

Jim

Grand Master
Terry, is that resin that you have used in the tealight to the right?

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
First Name
Terry
Jim, the violet is an iridescent acrylic paint made by Jo Sonja and is sold by Turners Retreat and Snainton. You can buy a pack of 6 different colours for about £12. It is very effective on wood and because it is fairly thick you can create various designs within the paint itself ie you can stub it on with a stiff paint brush or create a design with the tip of a screwdriver etc.etc, Before you use this paint you have to put a matt black acrylic primer on first. \this helps the iridescent to shine through.

Regards

Terry

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
First Name
Terry
Thanks ataylor. It is easy to do just scribe a couple of lines with a pencil while the piece is spinning. Colour the piece and when it's dry trim the edges with a parting tool. On this one I trimmed them quite deeply to accentuate the colour.
Regards
Terry

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).