• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

What is this for ?

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
As it says really, wondered what this for ? In the big box of bits from Dads which I'm still sorting through.

It has a couple of different size "bits" with the metric dims on.

SAM_2762a.JPG
SAM_2763a.JPG

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I think its for drilling circular holes, like an adjustable tank cutter.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
As every one else has said but,... It looks like that one has had the hand drill shaft shortened.. made round to fit a standard chuck..

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Old time chippies used them for fitting locks what with no real standards in the sizes of locks it was magic to be able to carry one tool to do so much its in good nick and has not done much work. On one job as a sparky apprentice I met a Spanish carpenter who as part of his apprenticeship min Spain way back when had to make his own plains from supertough woods to pass his apprenticeship, he fitted the several hundred doors on this refurbish conversion of a big hotel and cut every door by hand saw and everyone planed using his handmade plane the first one owned and made by him. Fast forward lots of years later at a garage sale it turned out it was the son of this humble (great) man disposing of the estate of his fathers I bought the three hand planes, were they beautiful No but I treasured them for the memories they conjure up of a different era Country and time. I can still see him in my minds eye every friday sharpening his saws by hand as was allowed in the bosses time.:thumbs:

Kind regards Peter.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Peter our carpenters were allowed an hour every morning once just to sharpen there tools

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Peter our carpenters were allowed an hour every morning once just to sharpen there tools

Yep I remember that as a young lad on site, I had to sharpen dads Irish Diston saw in a horse vice that was his bestest ever saw that cost arm and leg and earned all our wages.
I still remember some of the old toolmakers names WHS, Tyzack, A.House. London's finest tools for the Journeyman, usually an offshoot from the rail yard foundry.
Rambling now shut it init?

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).