• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

First try with 2 woods - result not as desired

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
I got the idea for this from the lidded box Doug posted a while ago, the end result is nothing like I had in my head (overambitious) but I now have some ideas for Mk II. I also have a lot more knowledge of how "not to do things", so all's good in the end.

The idea was to end up with a jewellery bowl for SWMBO, with a finial on for rings.

I've realised that my spindle gouge needs a fingernail grind to get what I wanted to achieve.

Finials are a bloody sight harder than it looks :funny: It was never meant to look anything like this, but each time I tried a shape I ended up removing it because it looked crap, so I ended up thinking "Sod it, I'll just get it finished". It's not glued in so I will put another in at some point (after a lot more practice) and reduce the size of the middle bit in the bowl so the line "flows" better.

All in all a good learning curve though and enjoyable to do.

Sycamore and African Blackwood (pen blank). 5" dia x 2" high in the middle.

SAM_2758a.JPG

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Thats a bloody good attempt Phill as you say a good learning curve look forward to Mk 2 for finials stand at your lathe for a day and just practise with some off cuts mate you will get there because you want to

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
MKI always lead to MII and MIII... onwards and upwards. A perfectionist is never happy with his own work but leaves other to admire it.

You've done a marvellous job for MK1

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
MKI always lead to MII and MIII... onwards and upwards. A perfectionist is never happy with his own work but leaves other to admire it.

You've done a marvellous job for MK1

What a wonderful way of saying it Touch'e init?

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
As Peter might say ..'looks fair dinkum cobber'....or would he :thinks: Looks fine to me too Phil.

Jim

Grand Master
It is always a good sign when we know our faults, it is even better when we can put them right .. MK1 isn't bad at all Phill ... :winking:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
If it was easy everyone would be doing it, the satisfaction comes from mastering the next task.
Keep up the good work Phill you're improving with every piece & gaining good experience :thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Phill... Really interesting and very practical my only worry with sharp pointy or indeed finials especially for constant use would prefer rounded top finials to prevent the inevitable stab that will occur in time be interested to hear the intended user your wifes comments indeed the most valid as the end reciever. For me lovely practical design with sufficient weight to remain steady in use. The clearance at the base of the finial brilliant to give clearance to enable the user to pick up the last ring and also to preserve it from scratching. Over the yrs SWMBO used to wear several on her ring finger and they wore gown with the constant contact her finger swelled so I called for all the rings and with permission had a Jeweller combine the stones from them melt the bands into one. However in our home i find another ring presented on important dates the very most acceptable presents.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Thanks all for the encouraging comments, was a good learning experience and as they say, if you don't try then you never will succeed.

I'll take that on board when I do the finial Peter, a good point re the round top.

I can see me spending next Saturday or Sunday using up the very boring American Walnut pen blanks I have as finial practice pieces. A good use for them at last, cos they made bloody boring pens.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).