• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Feather carver

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Thought that you might like to have a look at what this chap does. I have known him for a couple of ŷears and when the photograph with the guy out of the pirates film was taken I was exhibiting the other side if the aisle at a Craft in Focus exhibition at Henley last year, I remember it we'll, the day after I was made redundant and started to make money out of pens for a living!

David is not just a carving artist but also a perfectionist when it comes to the painting and the complete finished item. I let you be the judge,

David Patrick-Brown Feathercarver. Wood carver of realistic wildfowl, birds and birds of prey.Feathercarver - Stunning life-like birds carved from woodFeathercarver

Jim

Grand Master
You think you have seen it all, then something like this comes along .. The detail of that Owl is unbelievable .. Pure talent ... :thumbs:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I just made a BIG mistake and showed the CMM. I'm never going to be able to retire. :sob:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Neil, You certainly do have an interesting time and so many experiences grateful you pointed me in this direction David is indeed a rare craftsman using timber from log to finished item is in itself the time needed for that is also great so he must be resouceful to the limit.
I have a mate who made a career in the Australian Bird Collection now retired I will get in touch with who will find this item fascinating as well.

Thank you sharing these peoples work sure broadens the woodworking experience. In Australia photography became possible for the masses and the in house ones as I was with CSIRO division of Forestry closed down most of their Photo Centres and made me redundant at age 55 I had work in a short time but soon learned of the ageism attitude of employers reverting back to taking on being a Sparkie again at age 62 1/2 made redundant as maint Electrician at the Aust Nat University here that employs some two thousand people as work like mine was sent out to contract so I have experienced redundancy anxiety/ adjustment and wish you well in your pen living.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Boy Is that man talented or what ! Absolutely incredible stuff. Neil thanks for putting it up.:thumbs:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Simply beautiful work :thumbs:

I'm fortunate that locally we have quite a few displays throughout the year of carvers work, it is certainly one branch of woodworking that I admire greatly.

Another carver of birds who is well worth looking at is Terry EverittBird Carving Gallery if you've not seen his work before

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).