• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Busy Saturday

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Only just had time to upload a few photos from Saturday when I got chance to go get some timber.
I'd had a call earlier in the week that the sawmill I use were starting to cut up an Olive Ash tree trunk I was interested in, as I needed to pick up some other Ash I'd had them plank for me back in November 2012 I decided it would be a good chance to kill 2 birds with one stone.

This is the Ash, 12' long 2" thick the bottom planks are about 18" wide, this is destined to be a dining room table & chairs.

A7wJB6fCYAAwZFh_zps88a51f3f.jpg

This is the rather beautiful rippled Olive Ash.

photo5_zps90d59b26.jpg

photo1_zpsab312986.jpg

I went for the section of trunk on the right approximately 8' x 20" x 14" the square holes being where nails had had to be cut out before initial sawing, this section had the least nails, only 2, but hell still loads of useable timber & with a bit of luck it will be planked this coming week.

After dropping off the Ash I went over to look at some Walnut, I'd been worried about how much it was going to cost but in the end I needn't have worried, this is what I came away with.

photo2_zps39a2bf64.jpg

Stored here temporarily as the rain was torrential when I picked it up I will let it dry a little while & then seal the ends. It turned out that the tree had been blown down in the recent winds in a grave yard, they couldn't get machinery to it so it was cut up like this so it could be easily carried away between the graves.
There was quite a lot of rot in some of the tree but fortunately there saw still quite a bit of decent nicely figured wood.

photo3_zpsaa763563.jpg

No major shakes which was a surprise as I'd been told Walnut can be affected badly with them, this was the worst.

photo5_zpsba06c5ae.jpg

& a bit of a surprise a burr

photo4_zpsc153f70e.jpg

It will be interesting to see how things develop as it all dries, at worst I'll have a lot of pen blanks, but hopefully I should end up with some quite useable blanks & even possibly a couple of planks, only time will tell.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Ooooo Wow, that is some nice wood there. I look forward to seeing some things made from that Doug.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I think I just had an organism looking at those pictures.
I have dribbled all over my desktop need to wipe my chin now.
Drain help me I am an old man not used to this excitement init?

Jim

Grand Master
You lucky Ba*%^&*d :thumbs:

That Walnut does look good Doug, i can foresee some very nice bowls in a year or two ... :winking:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).