• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

My first bowls....

Gav

Registered
First Name
Gavin
Happy New Year to you all, I've not been around much these last few months for one reason or another, all too boring and depressing to go into, but I've started the new year with the aim to expand my turning from pens.

So, I tried a couple of bowls.

I had some blanks lying around one was quite small about 6" and the other quite big, maybe 10".

The small one went well, took a few shots to get the chisel work ok, and a few close calls with catches, and a lot of sanding!

The big one nearly killed my poor little lathe, it was at capacity, and as I've already realised there's a small wobble whenever I put my G3 chuck on, then added to that the massive blank, i nearly shook the garage down!

But the blank was there and had some old woodworm in it, so it was only really good for practice/ruining!

Time (and fear) got the better of me for the big one, so I left it shallow and rough, but had a go at a friction polish finish.

The small one was given a finish of BLO and despite one deep gouge where I caught it with the shoulder of a gouge, i'm quite happy.

2014-01-06 07.42.05.jpg

2014-01-06 07.41.53.jpg

2014-01-04 17.25.09.jpg

2014-01-04 17.26.23.jpg

I've learnt a lot from these two practices, and am really looking forward to trying a few other (smaller) pieces.

Quick question...

I'm looking to make a shaving dish for lathering, what's the best finish in terms of waterproofing wood for such a use?

Gav

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Its good to try these things out Gav, we learn by our mistakes and hopefully we make fewer and fewer so the bowls get better and better. Its good that you've got woodworm that have made a symmetrical pattern, did you train them? :rolling:

I'm not sure what finish you would use for a shaving bowl but I've got wood outside that I use OSMA oil on and also my kitchen worktop. OSMA while expensive does stop the water getting through but there may be something cheaper and just as good.

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi, Gav,

Go for it, matey! All it takes is a little time and experience - and then you become an acceptable bowl maker. That woodworm? Next time try filling the holes/blemishes with the shavings off the floor. If you build layers up, using CA glue, then sand, and keep repeating the process you should be able to lose the holes, etc. The main thing to ensure is that those little bastards are dead!!!

Bob.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Nice bowls Gav. I turned a shaving pot for soap and finished it with many coats of Danish oil. Been using it for a few months now and it's still as good as new.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
A very good and brave attempt Gav well done I have seen a lot of first time bowls in my time and can tell you yours are a good attempt especially as you just got on with it all on your own with no guidance yes there are flaws in them like tool marks but that is something I'm sure you will overcome with time and practice now put them to one side and some time next year bring them out and you will be amazed at how far you have come

So to sum your two bowls up well done you remember the old saying practice makes perfect look forward to seeing more of your work and improvements
For your shaving bowl most good quality oils will do the job the quickest drying are something like fidders hard wax oil
Buy Wood Finishes, Waxes, Stains, Varnishes and more

Gav

Registered
First Name
Gavin
Thank you all for your encouraging words!

I did watch a lot of youtube videos on turning bowls, there are some great tutorials on that site!

I need to work on my sharpening for sure, and could do with a meatier 1/2" bowl gouge, as I've only got a 1/4", not sure how much of a difference that would make though!

Oh, and I'll have to put a business case forward for a new lathe into Management!:banana:

Attachments

• 2013-07-16 20.07.05 - Copy.jpg
    2013-07-16 20.07.05 - Copy.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 42

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Well, only just having got more into bowls myself I think you did really well. To pinch a phrase from woody "they ain't dog bowl shaped so that's good"

I did my first couple with smaller chisels, but then picked up a 1/2" and 3/8" bowl gouge off ebay, what a difference it makes. Especially the larger one for really taking wood out quick. The stability it gives for finer cuts is great as well. Would be worth the investment in my humble opinion.

My Axminster is supposed to be rated up to 12" dia but to be honest I'd say 8" is OK, anything over that it's starting to struggle a bit.

If you have someone near you that you can scrounge a lesson off then grab the chance, I did with a certain someone on here and learned more in a day than I could've in years on youtube and the web. Power sanding is a godsend as well :bwink:

Be careful, it's just as bloody addictive as pens, and if anything more expensive for the materials, bowl blanks, different bloody finishes etc etc etc. Oh and you'll need some more shelves to put all the finishes on

:funny: :funny: :funny:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Lovely first effort Gav. You have nice form on the bowl shape and tool presentation will come with practice and experience. If I were to go for a new bowl gouge then I would start with a 3/8 in (10mm) as you can do any size bowl with that size and as funds allow then go for a larger gouge:thumbs: !!!!!

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Gav,

Nothing but admiration for your work then arriving at the pic of your lathe was so glad you did not have lahe bowl gouges etc that poor lathe would have suffered greatly from any large catch and trying to match the movements of a dancing lathe is for the birds. I only wish we were near with my large stash of bowl blanks and gouges chisels appearing from corners buckets my favourite gouge holders etc.

Have fun mate I surely have. A right angle drill with a 50mm disk holder for cloth backed abrasive can be magic IMHO.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
All good practice Gav, and of course more shavings to clean up ... :sob: These two bowls have good shapes to them so your observations on Youtube certainly has paid off ... :thumbs:

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
Good'un Gav, I mean two..
Thats what I like about the guys on here they will give it a go. And your first attempts are great- keep it up mate....:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).