• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Regency Band

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Regency Band pen (aka Perfect Fit Convertible) from Bob's Mistral (or whatever it was) worktop material:

Not exactly Corian but fits in here best I think.

This stuff drills nicely and turns OK preferably with a TCT type cutter or something like a Sorby hardwood scraper. Produces a lot of fine dust so I resorted to holding the shop vac hose right up to the cutting tip and wearing my Airshield.

Comes to a really good finish with micromesh and burnishing cream. Still looks a bit like a worktop to me but I will put it on sale and see if it goes. Sorry about the photo quality (tip is out of focus). Taken with a hand held compact.

Pen Finish-9 by walter.hall, on Flickr

Jim

Grand Master
Tis a nice looking pen Walter, the finish on it is superb and would sell in my neck of the woods no problem, albeit only for a tenner ... :goesred:

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Thanks Chaps. Neil, this particular example came from Stiles and Bates under the name "Regency Band Pen" but it is identical in every way to the ones sold by Bear Tooth Woods as "Perfect Fit Convertible".

I think they originate from Berea Hardwoods or whoever manufactures for them.

Just one other thing, it uses the "B" style 8mm mandrel.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Walter,

The material certainly took a beaut finish, the kit matched the Ivory, like that band, clip the design you gave the pen coupled with the photo I also believe to show the features of the kit the focus is in the right place.

Balance twixt the top and lower half is proportional giving a substantial pen.:claps:

Kind regards Peter.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Nice one Walter as we would expect from you
Turners Retreat used to sell this kit some years ago I got hundreds of them when they sold them of for silly money in fact you had some of the pencil fittings from me T/R used to call it the transformer kit and it come with a pencil refill as well so it could be changed from pen to pencil also they done the fountain / rollerball as well but I was never keen on them

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Sorry about the photo quality (tip is out of focus). Taken with a hand held compact.

As usual Walter, top quality. Think you are harsh on yourself with the picture, the rest of the picture carries it off and don't even notice the OOF.. And it's such a small amount that it's hardly noticeable ..

If that's hand half, keep it up..

Like the kit, never had the pleasure myself, seen them, thought about them but never ventured. Thanks for showing..

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Thanks folks, you are all far too kind.

Turners Retreat used to sell this kit some years ago I got hundreds of them when they sold them of for silly money in fact you had some of the pencil fittings from me T/R used to call it the transformer kit

You're right Woody I did thanks. You can still get the pencil refills from Berea or Bear Tooth, but I don't know anywhere in the UK that sells them.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Thanks folks, you are all far too kind.

You're right Woody I did thanks. You can still get the pencil refills from Berea or Bear Tooth, but I don't know anywhere in the UK that sells them.

If they do the fountain pen Walter stay clear of them they are rubbish kits for one the cap end you have two tubes long and short you turn it with the long tube in but not glued when finished remove the tube and glue the short tube in and the centre band which takes up the rest of the tube space and two the fittings are of a poor quality plastic I have some made up if you want to see them I can post a photo for you or you can see them in the flesh when you come up for the woodworking show

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
I think I vaguely remember them Woody, but I don't think they do them any longer. I will have a look when I come down and see if they are the ones I remember. If they are the same as the ones I think they are then I never managed to successfully assemble one and some of the kits went in the bin.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Looks a nice pen & gives a lovely finish, its got me wondering if Parapan would be suitable for making pens out of :thinks:

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Still looks a bit like a worktop to me

Thats because it is Walter - mine - and heres the pic of the sink cut out it came from :winking:

Thanks for trying it out, if you think its dusty to turn you shoud have seen it whilst routing!
I'm not sure about the pen but beautifully made.

It is Mistral and colour is vanilla sky (wifes choice, I'd have gone for a dark one). I have a couple of other offcuts also but both colours are uninspiring.

Bob

Attachments

• P1010013.jpg
    P1010013.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 19

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Lovely Walter like the kit .it would look great in the fountain pen version displayed as a wedding pen in Sue's wedding cake shop.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).