• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Is the weather keeping you out of the workshop

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Its really cold in my small workshop so i am not making anything at the moment and it costs to much to have a heater in with me. :mad:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Nothing will keep me out of my work shop not even when if gets cold when the winter gets here

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I have one of those Calor gas heaters, Super ser in my shed I expected it to cost a fortune but have been pleasantly surprised.
I bought a bottle at the weekend for £31.99 that is the first since last winter and that is still going strong.
I guesstimate to be a bottle and half per year not to terrible so far over the last four years I have had this heater.
That is warm as toast as often as I like. much better than the electric heater I had previosly plus I pay for this up front so I know the cost beforehand.
No shock from my Drain blaming the high electric bill on my shed init?

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
It hasn't been cold enough to need heating in my garage yet, but I do have a little leccie fan heater for when I can't feel my fingers anymore ...

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Fingerless gloves like Albert Steptoe's.

If I am doing any finishing I put the oil filled radiator on or the CA doesn't go off. Otherwise I just put a few extra layers on like Alex does.

But then we are used to the cold up here. Just look at the young lasses on the Quayside in Newcastle on a Saturday night, dressed like they were on holiday in Ibiza. :ave_it:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Only just come in from the workshop, toastie in there with plenty of insulation :whistling:

Couldn't find my soldering iron mind, wondering now if I've left it at a job :vangry:

Jim

Grand Master
It isn't the weather that is keeping me out of my shed, it is work and long hours ... A wooly hat and as Walter says, fingerless gloves does do the trick, oh and a tea shirt, thick jumper and a lumber jacket helps. :ciggrin:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I have an end piece of my shed sectioned off with just a bench, lathe and a few tools, its all insulated so when the lathe is going it soon gets warm. I've got an electric fan in there to give it a jump start but haven't used it yet this year. If it gets really cold I ask the CMM to come up for a chat. Then its warm as toast in minutes. :thumbs:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Worked out side most of my working life summer or winter rain or snow delivering milk and as a window cleaner so a work shop is pure luxury cold HUH

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
50f degrees in Blackpool today in fact had a bloody great bluebottle buzzing round the shed keeping me company .

sbwertz

First Name
Sharon
Fingerless gloves like Albert Steptoe's.

If I am doing any finishing I put the oil filled radiator on or the CA doesn't go off. Otherwise I just put a few extra layers on like Alex does.

But then we are used to the cold up here. Just look at the young lasses on the Quayside in Newcastle on a Saturday night, dressed like they were on holiday in Ibiza. :ave_it:

I have an oil filled radiator, too, but since my shop is 20'x20' it would be warm right next to it and cold everywhere else. Then I thought to put a 20" box fan behind it and now it heats the shop evenly. I like it because there is nothing to ignite flammables.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
What's a shed? :devil:
As Jim, not had chance for the last four weeks and the next four ain't looking much good either.

Would be nice to get in there and feel the cold..:ave_it:

But I have a full wardrobe that if I keep putting stuff on till I can hardly stand up I think that should keep me warm..:face:

Then the wood wouldn't argue with me as I would look like giant haystack..:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).