• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Natural edge Sycamore bowl

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
This is half of a log Terry gave me I was going to make a natural edge box but as I got into the log there was some gad cracks in it so I lost 1/4 of the log and made a bowl instead with a polish finish and it is 6 1/4" wide x 4 1/4" high
I did take more photos if anyone wants to know how I made it
DSCF1994.JPGDSCF2006.JPGDSCF2007.JPG

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
That's is one extremely nice bowl Woody and I would love to see more pictures of how you've made it.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Nice one dad, go on then show us some more pictures.
But not those ones of you with Eds pink panther suit on please.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
I'd blame the timber supplier Woody, off loading his gadged tat :funny::funny:

Looks a lovely bowl mate, :bravo:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
First let me apologise as I didn't take as many photos as I thought I started of with the log you see at the start of this post please note this bowl is end grain
Forgot to take a photo of the next stage but you will see the full shape in a later photo so I started by forming the outside shape I wanted including the foot and spigot to grip the bowl to remove the inside I didnt sand at this stage because it could all be done when I sand the inside as the whole thing is exposed and not covered by the chuck
DSCF1995.JPG
I used the Robert sorby Sovereign system to hollow the bowl out which is designed for end grain work Robert Sorby Sovereign Ultima System 22" it is a very good system and £100 cheaper than the roly munro and just as good once it was hollwed out I sanded the whole thing to 600 grit 2 coats sanding sealer and buffed with a cotton cloth 2 coats friction polish then finished of with woodturners stick

DSCF1996.JPGDSCF1997.JPG

Now you can see the bottom which I forgot to photograph at the start the dovetail is 70mm to fit my chuck but it can be made any size to fit your chuck also note I left the original mark were the tailstock point went this is so I can remount it in reverse to clean up the foot
First you will need a wad of folded paper towelling to place over the chuck first close the jaws up then cover the whole chuck to offer protection for the inside of the bowl place the bowl over the towelling and chuck bring up the tailstock fitted with a revolving centre and engage it in the base of the bowl were it was right at the start and lock it down with some pressure on the bowl but not to much or you could split the bit of wood you left on for this stage start the lathe and remove the dovetail with a spindle gouge this will give you better access
DSCF2001.JPGDSCF2002.JPG

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Sorry it wouldn't let me load any more photos
DSCF2005.JPG

Remove to as small as you dare but don't go to small otherwise you will end up with an airborne bowl remove pimple with a chisel and sand and polish which I hadn't done in the photo Job done have fun
DSCF2006.JPGDSCF2007.JPG

A photo of the bottom as it was when I done the outside sorry I thought Id included this photo
DSCF1999.JPG

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Thank you Woody, that's a great examination and some great photos with it.

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Woody to people like me who don't do bowls these little tutorials area god send. I struggle with how to hold or chuck bowls etc and often can't visualise things. Any chance of a book mate? It'd be a best seller - well I'd buy it.

keith

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Woody to people like me who don't do bowls these little tutorials area god send. I struggle with how to hold or chuck bowls etc and often can't visualise things. Any chance of a book mate? It'd be a best seller - well I'd buy it.

keith

Your always welcome to pop over Keith I can show you some different ways of holding wood in a chuck with different jaws for different jobs all in a single day the same offer is open to all members

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Your always welcome to pop over Keith I can show you some different ways of holding wood in a chuck with different jaws for different jobs all in a single day the same offer is open to all members

All at the same time dad you don't got nuff room init?

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith

Bit busy at the moment Woody but I'll sort summat out in the near future.

keith

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I'd just love to know where people get this kind of wood from to be honest.

Especially after my experience with the burr off eBay :sob:

Get in touch with a local firewood supplier the ones who deliver the ton bags of logs but tell him not to chop it up

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).