• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Aluminium Sierra

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
A new aluminium sierra made on my wood lathe with a scrapper sanded with j flex to 600 grit wet & dry to 1500 buffed on a polishing mop with a soap compound
26.JPG

Jim

Grand Master
Very nice indeed Woody, that pen looks pure class in this picture, so it must be even better looking in the flesh .. :winking:

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
I like that Woody

What do you protect the surface with to stop it oxidising?

How would a brass pen work out. I thought about it a while ago for the metal lathe but never got around2it - not so sure now.

Bob

ps: can you buy a kit to make a tyre gauge? :thinks:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I like that Woody

What do you protect the surface with to stop it oxidising?

How would a brass pen work out. I thought about it a while ago for the metal lathe but never got around2it - not so sure now.

Bob

ps: can you buy a kit to make a tyre gauge? :thinks:

I have been making brass and aluminium pens for years now and all they ever need is a polish every few years I made this one because I sold the last one that I mad about 4 years ago and that hadn't oxidized at all the photo is of a brass fountain pen I made about 3 years ago on a wood lathe with scraper's and has never been polished since the day I made it and it is still on my desk now
25.JPG

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
That's very interesting Woody, and inspiring.

I made a trout priest years ago of brass / rosewood and the brass discoloured hence my query but it was perhaps the water or bashing the trouts brains that caused it.
Heres a pick, handle is a but dull as been well used but I'd just rubbed the head with brasso.

Bob

Attachments

• priest.jpg
    priest.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 25

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Woody, Loved your aluminium work and yes last week I used my buff and stick on brass after using superfine wet and dry on one section it was magic and quick as.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
That's very interesting Woody, and inspiring.

I made a trout priest years ago of brass / rosewood and the brass discoloured hence my query but it was perhaps the water or bashing the trouts brains that caused it.
Heres a pick, handle is a but dull as been well used but I'd just rubbed the head with brasso.

Bob

Hay Bob I made two similar mallets from bronze many moons ago still use them to this day mind I think yours look more elegant than mine
DSCF1501 (2).JPG

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).