• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Great hospitality from Andrew (Fionaspens)

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
I took up Fiona and Andrews offer and called in this morning, a visit which I thoroughly enjoyed and found both interesting and enlightening. Andrew is a really nice guy and easy to converse with. (Hope I didn't overstay my welcome).

As a newbie to the craft it's an invaluable experience to see how others work and to see examples of work inexperienced turners like me can aspire to. Andrew has some very interesting ideas and concepts which as they develop will produce some stunning products.

Many thanks Andrew for giving of both your time and half your stock. More than generous and very much appreciated.

Bob

ps: We should organise a round trip bus and visit every members workshop in turn, including Peter in OZ - now wouldn't that be nice with a little booze etc added to oil the wheels?

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
well if you come to me on your bus trip last i might have finished tiyding it by then it only been 3 days work :rolling::rolling::rolling:

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks for sharing Bob, you are certainly doing your rounds .. :winking: If you are ever in W/Yorkshire, look me up, you never know i may have Terry sat with me ... :ciggrin:

Thanks to Andrew and Fiona for carrying on with the unwritten law of giving free pen blanks to your visiting neighbours ... :kiss:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Good news Bob visiting is great you always learn something from one another has been my experience also so many wrinkles in the way we set up shop, vacuum setups glues, drills the whole gamut that we assume are the best way then you get a fresh approach and bingo new light on how to do things more efficiently. Better get a set of water wings to reach Australia.

Kind regards Peter.:goesred:

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Thanks for the offer Jim - you never know though the missus doesn't let me out of the cage very often:winking:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Similarly if you're ever, or anyone is ever passing through Somerset (5mins off M5) and wants a coffee, chat or to stroke my lathe, please feel free.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Good news Bob visiting is great you always learn something from one another has been my experience also so many wrinkles in the way we set up shop, vacuum setups glues, drills the whole gamut that we assume are the best way then you get a fresh approach and bingo new light on how to do things more efficiently. Better get a set of water wings to reach Australia.

Not impossible we'll get to Oz this year just in limbo with plans at the minute. Not sure we'd get to Canberra however.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Similarly if you're ever, or anyone is ever passing through Somerset (5mins off M5) and wants a coffee, chat or to stroke my lathe, please feel free.

My door is always open as well just don't expect to learn anything new:nooidea: Coffee's ok however and my sheds (if you can get in them) are a treasure trove..

Bob

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Was thinking 1985 Jim I went up to Hartleypool is that in what is now called West Yorkshire anyway I went there to meet with people from Canberra visiting rellies there right near the ocean.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil

Paul,

You're on, I regret that I might be in a more mentally unstable state than normal though as I will have escaped from the confines of the MILs lair in clevedon.

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
Nice one Fiona & Andrew, good to be neighbourly.

Well, if any one is in Scotland on the M74 in South lanarkshire (literally 2 minutes off the motorway at j 9/10) give us a shout, Paula makes a decent cup of tea ....................sometimes.
All more than welcome.

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
I went up to Hartleypool is that in what is now called West Yorkshire

Nope it is (in the morass that constitutes local authority boundaries in the UK) a "unitary authority" known as the Borough of Hartlepool. Prior to that it was in the fictional county of Cleveland which was invented by some previous bunch of feckless politicians to further their electoral cause. In reality it is part of County Durham and always has been.

It is good to see some interaction between pen makers, I think you have started something here Bob. I am liking all of these offers of workshop visits. I often travel to random parts of the country so I may well be tempted to drop in. Tea, milk but no sugar will be fine thanks. And all are welcome in my workshop, just let me know you are coming.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
:claps::claps:

This is what makes for a great forum well done Andrew & Fiona.
I've been fortunate to visit many workshops over the last 7 or 8 years through meeting like minded woodworkers on forums & have even ended up working for a few of the workshop owners, one of whom I've been helping convert his chapel for the last couple of years.

Anyone passing junction 27-28 of the M1 is welcome to drop in, just give me a little warning as I'm on site more than I'm in the workshop these days.

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill

You may find me on your doorstep one day :whistling: I have family in Bruton and we pass you on the way there. I go the long way to avoid Bristol before anyone points out it's 2 sides of the triangle :ave_it:

I'm always open to people visiting me also if you're nearby, you probably won't learn anything except "how not to" but SWMBO makes great tea so not all bad.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Now then, all I need is a map marked with each members workshop / postcodes, car and sat nav and the courage to attempt to persuade the boss to go on a round robin trip of the UK instead of a holiday somewhere hot.
:thinks: Might take a bit of work and a lot of bribes

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Well I live just of the m25 at junction 8 near Epsom my is open most of the time
Exepet if terry is in town then it in lock down :)

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).