• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Air filter options

Paul

Fellow
Last edited:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I had one of the larger jet filters in a double garage and it worked quite well and was quiet but I have now gone for the microclene CM760 which you can fit closer to the dust source and they do smaller ones as well Microclene they also do a guide of workshop size for all there filters

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I would second both for the reasons stated microclene is perhaps the quieter one of the two also a consideration being so close ,how important that they disperse that fine killer dust that we pen makers find difficult to eliminate, for me suction to remove stuff while turning pens creates a noise like a train in a tunnel if I try to conquer it from only one source, filtration using bags etc belong outside and muted IMHO.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
Paul, i am also looking into a filter for my little lean-to and the Microclene that Woody mentions is ideal for me. It is only this past few months that my attitude towards the dust has changed, now it is about my health ... :thumbs:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Paul, i am also looking into a filter for my little lean-to and the Microclene that Woody mentions is ideal for me. It is only this past few months that my attitude towards the dust has changed, now it is about my health ... :thumbs:

You can have a look at my filter when you come up if you want then you can make an educated decision they are good I had one before when I was told I had to quit turning and I was so imprest I got another one well Violet did LOL

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
I made my own.......I know I'm a tight wad, but there's not really that much to them :thinks:

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Paul,

What other form of extraction do you have, if any already?

The reason I ask is that the units you have identified are only a fall back for catching the pm10's and smaller that are left behind from any dust created by wood working activities..

The best possible start you can do is have a "at source" extraction unit such as this RecordPower-TheToolShop CX2000 Compact Chip Collector

If you already have one then are fitting the filter unit as a belt and braces then you need to mount it in a position that will not encourage the small particles past you when operating the lathe.

Air flows and dust control is a difficult subject as there are Eddys that your body will create and may cause you to have a greater exposure than you would have done if you had not got the extractor filter..:nonono:

Paul

Fellow
Paul,

What other form of extraction do you have, if any already?

/QUOTE]
Thanks. I have this from record power. RecordPower-TheToolShop DX1000 45ltr Dust Extractor. And I'm going to fit the axeminister stand Light Duty Variable Height Extraction Hood - Extraction Accessories - Dust Extraction & Wood Waste - Wood Working | Axminster.co.uk to help direct the flow at my work.

The wife got me one of these for Xmas Dräger X-plore® 3500.

But I have a lot of fine dust that has settled on my machines so was wondering whether an air filter would make a difference. Clearly the more directional stand would capture more, but I would rather go over board than understated etc.

Again thank you to everyone for their advice

Paul

Fellow

I think you're right Jim, being morbid even if it adds you a month in time..... It's a lot of pens you can make!

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Hello

Is there any advice on these two options for an air filter please.

RecordPower-TheToolShop AC400 Air Cleaner

for £160 or the Jet AFS-500 Air Filtration System - Workshop Air Filters - Dust Extraction & Wood Waste - Wood Working | Axminster.co.uk for £224. I have a dust vacum, already but need to use a stand to get it closer to the lathe.

My usage is light (alas) maybe 2 -3 hrs at the weekend max.

But it is better to be safe than sorry so happy to pay for better model etc.

Paul, some time back I picked up two of these through fans for air con a large one that I recently installed in the house roof to extract hot air in the summer through a now stationary whirly bird outlet through the tiles and this smaller one I connected via flexible to the roof in the workshop venting to atmosphere suspended to the rear and above my pen turning lathe. They have a high output low power fan and I am remote from my nearest neighbour. Works for me, I use a large dustX also at the lathe with a Thien Separator in the middle similar to the one shown on the forum recently.

Kind regards Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0004-133.JPG
    DSCF0004-133.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 19

Paul

Fellow
Paul, some time back I picked up two of these through fans for air con a large one that I recently installed in the house roof to extract hot air in the summer through a now stationary whirly bird outlet through the tiles and this smaller one I connected via flexible to the roof in the workshop venting to atmosphere suspended to the rear and above my pen turning lathe. They have a high output low power fan and I am remote from my nearest neighbour. Works for me, I use a large dustX also at the lathe with a Thien Separator in the middle similar to the one shown on the forum recently.

Kind regards Peter.

Now that's some kit. Thanks for sharing.

Though it reminds me of our old milking urn upside down. Damnit should have brought that farm vacum system with me. It had the added advantage of four suction pipes, yet only narrow pipes!
:blah1:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I have seen someone use a vacuum cleaner with some extra filtering I think it was fleece with a plastic pipe running along behind the lathe and he had blocked the end and drilled holes all along the pipe and from what I could see it worked
Also I have seen an extractor fan set in the wall and all the dust went out side and disappeared and it worked for him the only problem with that is in the winter you would lose all your warm air but it would be a cheap summer solution

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).