• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Could you make captive ring tools from these ?

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
If you`re thinking of using the steel in those tools to for a cutting edge they would not be hard enough to take & hold an edge.

You could try shaping & then tempering the steel but you would need to remove the handle as chances are it would melt.

I can`t see it being successful :down:

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Worth a thought was all.

I just picked up 2 400 watt halogen floods for the garage/shed for a fiver each.

Will be ideal to angle over the lathe :up:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I normally grind and curve a nail and harden it sharpen with a round diamond file and make a handle

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Sometimes using a regular tool for the main cutting of captive rings that last fine cuts could be made using those hook tools from Aldi lightly for captive rings another I go with the concrete nails and sharpened allen keys. Loved Woodies use of and tempering nails.

The commercial tools must be gold plated for the prices expected. So many methods out there.:goesred:

Kind regards Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).