• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Dual Purpose Drill & Tool Sharpener

Jim

Grand Master
I was looking at the "Drill Doctor" a while ago Ed, but on Terry's first visit to me he told me how to sharpen the drills by hand, which i now do on my Pro-Edge, it took me a while to master it but like anything else we learn it soon becomes second nature. Best of all it was free ... :bwink:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I have to admit I have looked at these and wondered and this is probably the cheapest I have seen one for sale.
Like Terry I have always done mine by hand but the eyes are not as good as they used to was and the arthritis is getting to me so a bit of assistance is sometimes a boon init?

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
I bought a jig similar to the one in the pic except it came from machine mart many years ago. I rarely use it tbh and just sharpen by hand unless I need to radically change the angle for a specific job. you need a bench ghrinder of course but then most turners have that already.

As an aside, that site looks pricey for some of the other stuff. e.g. I looked at the Everbuild mitrefast kit which they say retails at £20.83 and they sell at £18.13 -.... Eh... I buy it from JTF Wholesalers at about £3.50 +vat. Got 2 in the cupboard last one bought recently and look exactly the same 200ml / 50g. Just checked the net and first I came to is £4.18. I thought maybe it is for 5 sets but no it seems only 1.

Bob

Attachments

• med_44351_1180C.jpg
    med_44351_1180C.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 50

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
To be honest I sharpen mine by hand ...but like ol grumpy the eyes aren't getting any better..Toolstaion are selling it a bit cheaper at £15.06 think I might just have a go at that price.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
They are a complete wast of money I have tried both of them one the small stones dont last 5 min the other your drill bit dont last 5 min it chews them up rotten both have been popping up for years at least 25 years that I can remember probably more but they never catch on ask yourself why

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
They are a complete wast of money I have tried both of them one the small stones dont last 5 min the other your drill bit dont last 5 min it chews them up rotten both have been popping up for years at least 25 years that I can remember probably more but they never catch on ask yourself why

Thanks for that Woody ....I've just ordered a set of transfer punches instead ..they will be of more use.

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks for that Woody ....I've just ordered a set of transfer punches instead ..they will be of more use.

Good choice Ed, i bought a set of these from the link that Walter gave us, i have found them very useful indeed ... :whistling:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
The base in itself is handy for sizing tubes with and you will be surprised what you do use them for.
Keep them close by they are useful.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).