• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

I now know the dia of my mandrel shaft

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Having read that mandrel shafts are easily bent and being the type who likes to be prepared, I looked them up and was shocked to find replacements cost nearly as much as a new mandrel- so: as I would be passing near to a metal supermarket depot this week I took the mandrel with me and called in. "No problem" said the guy it's 6mm. "Are you sure not 1/4 inch" says I, "no" he replied, can sell you a 3mtr length for £6. Quick calc tells me thats 12 shafts so 50p each and I can always find a use for 6mm bar so smiles all round - except it doesn't fit. Theres a small amount of play in the bushings.......ARH

Lots of swear words later I dig out the micrometer (which I should of course have done in the first place) and find that:

The shaft is actually 6.20mm so I guess it's within tollerance of a 1/4" bar and the new 6mm bar reads 5.92 :duh: What a plonker I am and doesn't say much better for the guy at metal supermarkets.

Back to the drawing board.

Bob

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Bob,

Ok a £6 cock up! However when or if you need to buy more mandrel be careful. The Axminster deluxe mandrel part number 211321 I think it is, the deluxe adjustable mandrel is a different width to the other mandrel that tb and record sell. Many of my earlier sets of bushes that were bought over five years ago do not fit the record/tb mandrel, they are too small. the bushes that fit on the tb mandrel and the record mandrel rattle like crazy on the Axminster deluxe mandrel. it took me a while to work out why I wasn't getting a good fit between the barrel and the nose cone on the Polaris when I first started selling pens.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
If you buy a mandrel saver Bob then you shouldn't suffer from bent mandrels !!!!

I have one Terry. I bought it after deciding I didn't have time to try and make one myself though was tempted after reading the thread.

bellringer: it 1/4 inch i have a 1/4 for making thing fit start to the mandrel

Now you tell me:thinks:

Bob

ps: Does that qualify me as a member of the plonker club?

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
I have one Terry. I bought it after deciding I didn't have time to try and make one myself though was tempted after reading the thread.

bellringer: it 1/4 inch i have a 1/4 for making thing fit start to the mandrel

Now you tell me:thinks:

Bob

ps: Does that qualify me as a member of the plonker club?

You can join anytime you want Bob as I am the Chairman !!!!!:winking::winking::winking:

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Bob,

Ok a £6 cock up! However when or if you need to buy more mandrel be careful. The Axminster deluxe mandrel part number 211321 I think it is, the deluxe adjustable mandrel is a different width to the other mandrel that tb and record sell. Many of my earlier sets of bushes that were bought over five years ago do not fit the record/tb mandrel, they are too small. the bushes that fit on the tb mandrel and the record mandrel rattle like crazy on the Axminster deluxe mandrel. it took me a while to work out why I wasn't getting a good fit between the barrel and the nose cone on the Polaris when I first started selling pens.

I haven't wasted anything really as I can always find a use for 6mm rod.

I bought the adjustable mandrel from Tony at Penkits UK so don't know who makes them but I'm happy enough with it. I'll keep that in mind Neil, I've ordered some bushings from TB so hope they fit ok.
I suppose I could probably make my own bushings without too much effort if I needed to.
Bob

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil

I bought the adjustable mandrel from Tony at Penkits UK so don't know who makes them but I'm happy enough with it. I'll keep that in mind Neil, I've ordered some bushings from TB so hope they fit ok.
I suppose I could probably make my own bushings without too much effort if I needed to.
Bob

Bob,

That mandrel comes from Rizheng industrial company in Shanghai and is the same one as TB sell, although I don't know if that is where David gets them from.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
So... we have 2 questions; can we source 6.2mm bar and should Terry just let Bob into the Plonkers Exclusive Club... A third Question. If Terry lets Bob into the Plonkers Club, will he be able to keep up to the expectations of him?

Oh, I've been to the pub by the way.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian

Bob

Make your bushes with a 6mm internal and use the rod you have just bought. Not such a plonker after all. Sleeve the ends if necessary init?

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Good idea, I have both brass and aluminium I could use in place of steel. Got all sorts of bits of metal so could even have some thick walled tube if I look hard enough.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
I still don't see what the issue is with bending Mandrels.......... I have been pen turning for a few days :whistling: now and never bent a mandrel.. So I don't get the worry about bending them..

But I like the idea of you being in the plonker club Bob..:banana: takes up a space to stop me filling it.. :banana:

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
The Axminster deluxe mandrel part number 211321 I think it is, the deluxe adjustable mandrel is a different width to the other mandrel that tb and record sell. Many of my earlier sets of bushes that were bought over five years ago do not fit the record/tb mandrel, they are too small. the bushes that fit on the tb mandrel and the record mandrel rattle like crazy on the Axminster deluxe mandrel. it took me a while to work out why I wasn't getting a good fit between the barrel and the nose cone on the Polaris when I first started selling pens.

There is undoubtedly a difference between the Axminster deluxe adjustable and most others. The bushes supplied with it will not fit the others. I have not found the same problem the other way round though Neil. All of my bushes work fine on the Axminster without excessive play. I guess it must just be a question of the manufacturing tolerances.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Been reading with interest about mandrel sizes, bushing etc. The last time I bought spare mandrels they were less than four of your pounds each all absolutely the same size so for quite some time i have had consistency in this phase of making. They came from David at Timberbits one problem solved. They are a snug fit in my Mandrel Saver I use point no 2 solved. Remarks such as a replacement mandrel cost around so and so amaze me you have as cheap access over there as we do here to Timberbits at incredible freight rates.

In my travels i found cheap to my thinking Stainless tubing to use as bushes having found carry over from others when using polishes etc.Thick walled approximate hole size a little smaller drilled with a chosen measured drill. One by one trying to eliminate the elephant in the room has paid huge dividends.

Anyway sorry to bother you with my thoughts my dissapointment at sizing, drills etc led me to go this way the final hole sizing in bushes and my own build Mandrel Savers I have acheived with quite small diameter end mills in the tool rest kicked at a slight angle then fine cuts to a smooth snug fit. In this country mini boring bars are like hens teeth and just as expensive.

By the way have success with your drift punches finding suitable lengths of quality steel finding rod turned to suit more reliable and made to fit snugly internally. Used to be with Slimlines you had to cut a recess in the top brasses to accomodate the clip then brasses were sold in the cuts ready recessed another avenue for cursing when you reversed the blank after glueing up, all progress now we have U Beaut Mandrel kits in so many configurations etc another minefield which one for you and me varying sizes of mandrels etc.

Have fun makes a pen worth a lot more in time taken in making to eliminate some of the variables. 36 degrees of melt here today building up around the country into the high 40,s to 50,s in some states curious the contrasts in weather around the world. Off tomorrow in the quest for clear coating brass some more trade houses coming back on line after the Christmas breaks. A mates 12 yr old coming with her Dad to make her first pen, off to the doc for wound dressings following my free flight experiences a bruise on my back the size of the map of Australia lessening, look forward to a good day.

Take care out there Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).