• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Airbrushing you bowls

Jim

Grand Master
Do any of you turners incorporate airbrushing into your work, I was mainly thinking about bowl making. If so, do you think it is a good idea or does it take away the look of natural wood in your piece? I am hoping shortly to get into making some bowls and was thinking of different ideas that can be done in the process .. :thinks:

Thanks guys ...

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Just stopped pissing myself laughing - I desperately need some new glasses, as well as being a very old prescription, these ones that I am wearing are splattered with friction polish and probably a bit of ca as well and I was convinced this thread was entitled Airbrushing your bowels.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Jim,

Andy Coates is a master at this, flash up YouTube and search for "colouring an ash bowl". it's a fascinating video but goes on a bit at 25 mins, you can skip some of it and get the drift in about 10 mins but it is well worth a viewing.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Sorry not for me might just as well go buy a plastic bowl I watched a guy once turn a bowl then took a grinder to it then coloured it you would never know it was wood I think colouring wood so that you can still see the grain yes fine but not when they apply the colouring so that the wood just don't exist any more but that's just me some turners love it its your hobby Jim give it a try and see for yourself it wouldn't do for us to all be the same mate

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I'm not a fan, I love wood and like to make wood look different and maybe add a bit of metal or stone or acrylic but to paint it... nah, not for me. But, you could prove me wrong.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I still have your airbrush if you wanna start doing it dad, having seen your pyro work I would think you would make a great job of it.
Jim I have never tried it but would be interested in seeing the results.
If Woody don't want it back, don't buy an air brush you can have this one.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I still have your airbrush if you wanna start doing it dad, having seen your pyro work I would think you would make a great job of it.
Jim I have never tried it but would be interested in seeing the results.
If Woody don't want it back, don't buy an air brush you can have this one.

No I don't want it Brian I was going to try it years ago but changed my mind give it to Jim at least it will get used thinking about it my pyro work contradicts my last statement I'm a strange one for sure

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
I like to see some colouring of wood occasionally, especially when it's used to enhance the timber particularly on large pieces made from more plain timber.

I've air brushed the rims of a couple of bowls, I laid small leaves on the rim & then sprayed over them, then rearranged the leaves in a different pattern & sprayed again with a different colour. After doing this 4 or 5 times with different colours & patterns a pleasant effect is produced.

Look forward to seeing the fruits of you labours Jim.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no

Jim

Grand Master
I think with some of the lighter coloured woods like Ash and Sycamore then a bit of colouring can enhance the bowl but on the richer woods I think I would leave the wood to its natural beauty !!!!

Thanks for all the constructive comments guys, Terry, all the Ash that you gave me made me think of airbrushing, exactly for the reason you mention above ... :thumbs:

I am only thinking of going in light and nothing heavy, and as Woody said yesterday, it will happen on the day and see what it comes out like.

Woody and Brian, thanks for the offer of the kit it is appreciated ... :thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Jim I could bring it to the show in March or if you are in a hurry PM your address and I will pop it in post for you.
Have fun with it init?
I would like to see some of the results, I like the sound of Doug's experiments could be very decorative.
Too fiddly for me but then I don't doing it init?

Jim

Grand Master
Jim I could bring it to the show in March or if you are in a hurry PM your address and I will pop it in post for you.
Have fun with it init?
I would like to see some of the results, I like the sound of Doug's experiments could be very decorative.
Too fiddly for me but then I don't doing it init?

March will be fine Brian, to be honest it sounds fiddly to me also, but at least i can go to the grave knowing i tried it ... :pray:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Thanks for all the constructive comments guys, Terry, all the Ash that you gave me made me think of airbrushing, exactly for the reason you mention above ... :thumbs:

I am only thinking of going in light and nothing heavy, and as Woody said yesterday, it will happen on the day and see what it comes out like.

Woody and Brian, thanks for the offer of the kit it is appreciated ... :thumbs:

To be honest Jim I would rather use Jo Sonja's paints and just hand paint them on !!!!

Mr Finch

First Name
Coll
Why cover the natural beauty of wood with paint.

I think there needs to be a qualifier in this statement.

For me, painting is for doors, door frames and skirting boards. Gloss white, not satin or matte (but that's a different discussion).

What appeals to me is the stuff that Andy Coates demonstrated in his video mentioned above. This is staining rather than painting. I am not sure I would have used it in the piece he demonstrated, but each to their own.

It's yet another thing on my "want to try this sometime" list.

Coll

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
I think there needs to be a qualifier in this statement.

For me, painting is for doors, door frames and skirting boards. Gloss white, not satin or matte (but that's a different discussion).

What appeals to me is the stuff that Andy Coates demonstrated in his video mentioned above. This is staining rather than painting. I am not sure I would have used it in the piece he demonstrated, but each to their own.

It's yet another thing on my "want to try this sometime" list.

Coll

Coll,

Likewise, if I had got the piece that Andy Coates had out of that piece of timber the last thing I would have had the confidence to do would have been to throw stain all over it. I tried his methods with a lovely piece of figured robinia, unfortuantely the end result looked like my kids had used it when they were about three, its a lurid lime green mess!

Mr Finch

First Name
Coll
I have seen the vids on some of the stuff that Captain Eddie has done on YouTube, and, I have to be honest, I don't like it. I think he has ruined some perfectly good forms. As said, each to their own.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).