• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Two woods, here is Mk II

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Well after the first try and being unhappy with the finial, I thought I'd have a bash again and use up some very boring American Walnut blanks I had lying around, when I think I've got good enough I'll redo it in Ebony I think it should go well with the Sycamore.

I reground my 3/8" spindle gouge with a fingernail grind (youtube video from Cindy Drozda) and am reasonably happy with the result, considering it's the first time I've done it and I did it freehand.

I'm happier but not fully happy, so MkIII will follow soon. I lost the live centre end a little too soon so will have to watch that on the next one. The lack of support caused me some real issues. Decided to leave the centre of the bowl as is for now, until I get the finial the way I want it.

Comments, advice, ridicule gratefully received as always.

SAM_2769.JPG

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
A lovely job Phil, you certainly are getting good at it.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Certainly a smooth match compared with the black before giving emphasis back to the delightful bowl where it belongs.

Kind regards Peter.:goesred:

Jim

Grand Master
That finial is looking good Phill, and i like the attitude of getting it better before you go for quality wood .. Well done, sir, practice is certainly worthwhile.. :bwink:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Much better shape Phill :thumbs:

If you google turned wooden finials & look at images there are some excellent shapes, well worth checking out for future reference.

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Much better shape Phill :thumbs:

If you google turned wooden finials & look at images there are some excellent shapes, well worth checking out for future reference.

I'm not short of ideas, just the skill :funny:

It's a bloody sight harder than the experts make it look.

I'll do that though and see if I can gain some inspiration.

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
If you care to drop round, Phill, I'll turn a bung that fits up there - then you'll be as good as Woody. I fitted his one!!!

Nice work!

Bob.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).