• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Purpleheart bowl

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
The sharp eyed may have noticed in my "lighting" pictures there was a part finished Purpleheart bowl on the go. Fancied a go at a bowl from this having done pens with it, I thought it might look nice. It seems to finish nicely, blunted the hell out of 2 bowl gouges though.

Well here it is finished. 5 x 2", sanded to 600, finished with Melamine lacquer. This will end up on my desk for putting my coffee money in as it developed a bloody crack right through the wall just as I was finishing it.

Criticism and ridicule welcomed.

SAM_2770a.JPG

SAM_2771a.JPG

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Lovely Phil and a lovely finish too. Purple heart is a funny wood, I understand is affected by UV and goes darker when exposed to sunlight. I might be wrong but I think I read it somewhere.

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Lovely Phil and a lovely finish too. Purple heart is a funny wood, I understand is affected by UV and goes darker when exposed to sunlight. I might be wrong but I think I read it somewhere.

Thanks, I believe it will go towards brown over time and lose the in your face purple.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Well done Paul it looks good the crack may be from over sanding and the wood got to hot P/H dont like hot as dont a lot of woods

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Well done Paul it looks good the crack may be from over sanding and the wood got to hot P/H dont like hot as dont a lot of woods

Paul ? Paul ?

You 're losing it again mate :whistling:

Thanks for the tip and you may be right I was hammering it a bit with the power sanding technique that a certain someone showed me :funny::funny:

I'll watch out for that and take it steadier from here on in.

Jim

Grand Master
Looks very good, with a great finish on it .. :winking: Damn shame about the crack thou .. :down:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Paul ? Paul ?

You 're losing it again mate :whistling:

Thanks for the tip and you may be right I was hammering it a bit with the power sanding technique that a certain someone showed me :funny::funny:

I'll watch out for that and take it steadier from here on in.

Sorry Charlie, Fred NO its Phill another senior moment LOL

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Looks a cracking effort Phil :goesred::thumbs:

Joshing aside I think you've turned a really nice bowl there mate, we all have hiccups along the way, just makes you appreciate the ones that go exactly as you planned all the more.

On woods that darken a good idea is to use an acrylic lacquer as this slows down the darkening process, especially if you keep the piece out of sunlight.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
A bowl you will appreciate for a long time to come, don't worry about the split make a feature from it.

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Very nice bowl, Phil, well done!
If the crack gets too bad then drill some holes on both sides just like eyelet holes on a shoe, then thread them with a suitable lace. On the other hand, if it's a drying-out crack it may start to close up again, and won't look too bad.

Bob.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).