• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Zebrano Shaving Bowl/Dish

Gav

Registered
First Name
Gavin
Here's another attempt at a bowl.

It's Zebrano, it's to be used (by me) as a shaving bowl for lathering up (insert own joke here) and all in all I'm frustrated.

This was not an enjoyable project, it felt Like I was fighting it the whole way.

My lathe, the tools, sanding, chucking, each stage seemed to go pear shaped somehow. So what I have is a rescue job, that is the right shape that I ws looking for, but has many, many flaws, which is plain to see.

So, Here are the pictures, warts and all.

2014-01-12 22.04.31 - Copy.jpg

2014-01-12 19.49.33 - Copy.jpg

2014-01-12 19.50.18 - Copy.jpg

2014-01-12 19.49.54 - Copy.jpg

2014-01-12 19.51.34 - Copy.jpg

The parts that took a finish, I'm happy with, but I could not get rid of those pesky tool marks.

I don't have a bowl sanding system yet, but will invest, however, I don't want to be sanding as much as I did with this one, and it still ended up like that.

My chisels are reasonably sharp, 1/4 bowl gouge and 1" round nosed scraper, but at time it felt I wasn't cutting at all, no matter where I was holding the tool.

Not too much vibration from my lathe, but there is a definite wobble coming from the chuck, how much of an impact will this have?

Sorry, bit of a rant there, but I'd love to hear any advice you may have as to how I go about improving, even if it is 'go back to rugby!' :face:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Can't offer you any advice Gav .. but I like it, it looks so unique and that piece of zebrano that you have used looks spectacular.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Gav your first mistake was choosing Zebrano! That stuff is fearsome. All in all you've done an excellent job and you have the makings of a lovely bowl. Next time try a wood that is not so hard and you might have an easier time of it.

Gav

Registered
First Name
Gavin
Gav your first mistake was choosing Zebrano! That stuff is fearsome. All in all you've done an excellent job and you have the makings of a lovely bowl. Next time try a wood that is not so hard and you might have an easier time of it.

Ahhhhhhhh, I see, thought it felt completely different to anything I've used before!

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
I did a zebrano bowl a few days ago and I needed frequent trips to the grinder to get a good finish on it. As David says you need really sharp tools.

http://www.penturners.co.uk/turning-bowls/3030-something-put-my-nuts.html

The wobble on the chuck won't help I would think either, but I'll let some more experienced people chip in on that score.

It looks as though you had a fair bit of tear out, which again would suggest the sharpening?

If you can then get the sander attachment for a drill, 50mm / 2 inch should do fine. Woody put me on to that method and it proved worth its weight in gold.

These kind of things Flexipads Sanding Pads - Sanding Accessories - Abrasives - Fixing, Gluing & Finishing | Axminster.co.uk, with the normal range of grits 80 through 600 ( or so)

Hope that helps a little.

I'm sure Woody, Terry or Doug will be along shortly with better advice than me.

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Way I see it, Gav, is that there are a few ring marks, which is OK seeing as it's gonna be a shaving bowl. Like the other guys say - it's a brill piece of wood so enjoy!

Bob.

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
Use a power sander - i.e B&D Mouse etc. I use a Ryobi one with coarse grit on it, sand with the grain if poss, then when the marks are away go through the grits in your normal method of sanding.
Sharp tools will avoid most tear out but there are some poxy bits of wood out there that no matter what you do or try just won't sand properly.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Nothing to add to the above but a lovely looking bowl and a nice shape.

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Gav both Jimjam and Phill have said it all. Zebrano can be a bit of a b*ast*rd to cut so you need to keep your tools really sharp and take light cuts when you are getting near to the finished shape and that includes scrapers. I would also be inclined to power sand with a 50mm sanding disc fitted to your power drill.
All in all you have done a good job with it being your first attempt and you will probably find your next attempt will come out a lot better !!!:thumbs:

Gav

Registered
First Name
Gavin
your next attempt will come out a lot better !!!:thumbs:

I won't be using bloody Zebrano for a start!

Thank you all, as ever, for you kind words and support, I'll get me one of those sanding pads and some more forgiving wood!

More sharpening practice too.

Was it on here I read "We don't sharpen our tools because they are dull, we sharpen them because they are not sharp enough!":thumbs:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Hi Gav that is one very nice shaving bowl with a very good shape it is a shame about the tool marks but you have been given some good advice there if you are going to use it then you must remove those tool marks they are torn grain and water will get into them and ruin the whole thing also after making such a good shape it would be a shame to leave it with imperfections you said you used a scraper did you sheer scrape because thats all it will need
This happens to the best of us I made a bowl today finished it and put the first coat of oil on it and wam out poped a tool mark it will be returned to the lathe in a mo so your not alone mate
DSCF2035.JPG

Gav

Registered
First Name
Gavin
Woody,

Thank you so much for the reply, and it's good to see that it can still happen even at Expert level!!!!:face:

My problem (sharpening aside) - I think - is the wobble I get when the chuck is attached to my lathe, i'll try to take a video tonight.

I can't tell you what kind of cut I was getting, as I was trying all sorts, and could not get anything remotely like a clean cut, even after repeated visits to the grinder!

Maybe I'll try again with a smaller piece!

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
The trouble with Zebrano is the light wood is soft and the dark wood is hard so it dose take some getting used to sharp tools yes but equally as important is tool control another important thing to remember is that your tool always travels up hill then the wood fibbers behind the ones you are cutting offer support go down hill and the wood fibbers will move and tear as they have no support so your tool should travel from the smallest to the largest part of your bowl on the bowl I have just made the grain runs the opposite way to yours on them bowls you run from the largest to the smallest I hope that makes sense

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Gav leaving tool marks to Woody and others the wobbly chuck can emanate depending on the brand of chuck no pic who knows however most jaws are held if interchangeable by screws that work loose bit like how long is a piece of string at this stage. Have success.

Peter.:thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
Gav, i wouldn't knock yourself so much, more take it as a learning curve, as others have said, you done good taking on Zebrano it is a bas*&Rd for sure. The finished shape is good and one i would certainly be happy with... I take my hat off to you Sir for adding this for comments, and i thank everyone for their constructive and fair replies .. :thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
As has already been said about the importance of sharp tools, working with the grain and the mixture of hard and soft woods in the same piece.
You have done exceedingly well to get as far as you have done.
The issue of wobbly chuck is of some concern, sounds like either bearing play or something off centre.
Take the chuck off and insert a dead centre to the Morse taper,do a kiss test to find the centres and true those up, then refit your chuck and put the dead centre in this and repeat the process.
Play on bearings will be evident by any lateral movement of your dead centre in the taper.
Ensure the taper is clean before placing the dead centre in it.
Clean threads etc then take a flick if the problem remains.

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
Gav, thats brilliant bit of turning more so as you used Zebrano, its a pain, need to have the sharpest chisel you can beg steal or borrow. And like the other guys have said power sanding is a must.... Well Done... :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Missed this one :nooidea:

Looks like a good effort Gav, the only thing I can add to the advice that has already been given is to keep the bevel of the tool you're using rubbing on the timber as you make the cut. That way the timber below the cut is being supported & a much cleaner cut is achieved.

Gav

Registered
First Name
Gavin
Thank you all for you input, it is much appreciated.

Jim, I expected nothing other than fair replies from this forum, such a great resource for any turner, especially a newbie like me!

So, before my next attempt, I will:

• spend time dismantling and checking my lather to see if I can eliminate the wobble
  • get a bowl sanding system
  • practice sharpening, and practice some more
  • pick a more forgiving wood!

Thank you all again :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Gav

Registered
First Name
Gavin
The trouble with Zebrano is the light wood is soft and the dark wood is hard so it dose take some getting used to sharp tools yes but equally as important is tool control another important thing to remember is that your tool always travels up hill then the wood fibbers behind the ones you are cutting offer support go down hill and the wood fibbers will move and tear as they have no support so your tool should travel from the smallest to the largest part of your bowl on the bowl I have just made the grain runs the opposite way to yours on them bowls you run from the largest to the smallest I hope that makes sense

Woody,

Thank you, yes I think I understand, but I'll have this to hand next time I turn to apply it, if I can!

Gav

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).