• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

14 1/2" Natural edge Ash bowl

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I have had a most wonderful day doing this bowl the log is one of many Terry gave me your a diamond mate it is something I thought I would never be able to do again and to be honest it did bring a tear to my eye this is the type of thing I love to make and this one will always be very special to me.
Violet has fallen in love with it so it will most definitely be staying the only problem now is I still have some bigger logs were do you stop maybe try the next size up LOL
When I got this one out yesterday one side of it had been cut with a chain saw from both sides and the cuts didn't line up so there was a step in the middle so I used a power plane to remove it much quicker than doing it on the lathe all of the outside was done with a bowl gouge and the start of removing the inside then I used he Sorby Sovereign Ultima system to remove the rest of the inside I do love my hobby I will show the finished bowl in a few days
I have just come back in as a tool mark showed up with the first coat of oil so back on the lathe before it moved to much job done tool mark removed just proves no matter how long you have been turning it can still happen but worst it can still get past you till you start to apply the finish I hope you enjoy my wonderful experience

DSCF2029.JPGDSCF2030.JPGDSCF2032.JPGDSCF2033.JPG

This one is for Terry just to show how nice it was to turn and some of the fine shavings
DSCF2031.JPG

Gav

Registered
First Name
Gavin
Lovely.

I love ash, and I'll be raiding the old man's wood pile for some when I'm next down!

Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Jim

Grand Master
It is good to read that you are enjoying your turning again Woody, and it is good that you share your enthusiasm with us my friend .. I can see this being a master piece and looking good sat in your finished turning room with all the other projects that you have turned ... :thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Sharing your joy dad, your enthusiasm is infectious.
Lovely to see mate, keep it up but be careful init?

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Now that is some bowl but i thought you didnt turn in to the grain when turning a bowl woody

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Now that is some bowl but i thought you didnt turn in to the grain when turning a bowl woody

You can turn any way you like there are tools on the market designed especially for end grain turning like the sovereign system from sorby and the roly munro

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Well after putting the oil on it last night I was going to take it back out to the workshop away from the heating but didn't should have known better yes it split sawdust super glue and back on the lathe boy had it moved removed wood down past the bottom of the dovetail recess now I'm living in hope it don't happen again I have left it in the workshop so it will take longer to dry good fun, Its just one of those things who sang that ?
DSCF2036.JPG DSCF2037.JPG

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).