• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Who's a lucky lad then?

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
A colleague has had a cedar tree drop a limb (bloody big limb) and had it cut up. It took out a chunk of an ancient yew on the way.

Here are some "samples" she just brought me to see if it's "any use"

Yeehah !

The long on is the yew at approx 5 ft long and tapers from 5 inch to 3inch (she has more of this)

The two other lumps are cedar 9 inch dia and 6 inch dia approx a foot long, apparently there's a LOT of this and some bigger, but I can't handle the big stuff :sob: There's a bit of Silver Birch hiding in there as well 5 inch by a foot long.

So what the heck do I do with it now :funny:

2014-01-14 13.05.47.jpg

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Good on yer mate the yew will make some lovely natural edge vases in fact most of it will cedar natural edge bowls wow good fun lies ahead mate

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
So, do I dry it first ? If so how's best to dry it?

Seemingly just turn it wet might be fun by your reactions ?

If I do it wet do I do it to size or leave it large and let it dry in a bag ?

Help, got the lovely wood now I'm sunk as to how best to do it justice :funny:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
It is an experience wet turning well worth a go but like anything there are no guarantees it wont split but then there is no guarantee it wont split anyway there are two different ways of doing it 1/ leave it about an inch thick with a spigot on the inside and outside weigh it and put it in a bag with some of the shavings then remove it every so often and weigh till the weight is stable then finish it or turn it as thin as you dare and oil it and watch it change shape if it splits then just drill small holes each side of the split and lace it up with a leather thong
The Yew will be about the most stable that may just develop shakes if you decide to put it to one side to dry then seal the ends of each log and keep them as long in size as you can then if it dose split then you will still have some good bits in the middle larger logs you can split and remove the pith about an inch or so of the middle and you can still make natural edge bowls from them good luck mate whatever you decide to do by and large it is all trial and error

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
You know what, seeing as it's free, I'm gonna give it a go wet :funny:

She's bringing me a load more so why the heck not. I'll dry some and have fun with the other bits.

I assume my old scuba diving drysuit will be a good idea :funny:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Have fun mate kind of the giver and I am impressed with all that Woody has said if you follow this advice you will be busy for a long time and enjoy the journey IMHO.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).