• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

And so it starts - Hollowing tools for end grain

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Right then, given that a lot of this Cedar and Yew will be end grain, I'm going to need some hollowing tools am I not ?

Budget right now won't stretch to the Sovereign system et al, so would something like a ring tool be OK in the meantime ?

Robert Sorby Handled Ring Tool 1/2" 13mm

Or can I use a spindle gouge rather than a bowl gouge ? Making the assumption that it should be spindle not bowl?

Have I got that last bit right ?

Jim

Grand Master
Rather than that Phill, why not look at this tool Here .. I bought one just before Christmas but not tried it out yet ... :pray:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Rather than that Phill, why not look at this tool Here .. I bought one just before Christmas but not tried it out yet ... :pray:

That would be an ideal tool for bowls and small vases if you have or it you have one of sorbys tools were you can change the tips then the hamlet little brother cutter and shield will fit on them

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Woody like the sorby multi tool one ?

Yes that one will do it mate in fact the multy will do it as well that is what it was designed for just take a bit longer then you can save up for a good one

Ralphsputin

I'd avoid the ring tool. I have that very one and though I've been turning for a few years I still can't get it to work. I use a combination of any gouge I've got plus some scrapers. If you already have gouges and scrapers - give them a go first, you don't necessarily need something specific for end-grain. Of course if you start to hollow a long way from the rest that may change.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Never met anyone over my way could resharpen a ring tool over again with skill. Depends on the depth which tool but the carborundum round tips do a mighty good job with less catches IMHO.

Peter.:goesred:

Shaver

First Name
Tam
If you want to try hollowing without the expenditure of new tools, why not try a 'Oland Tool'.

Very easy to make, and very effective. Oland tool. Yet another.

I have made a few, and I have followed another method that that explained. Instead of using locking screws, I grind the corners off the tool bit until round then using super glue, glue the tip into the shaft. Also buy some replacement golf club handles and fix them to the handle end. Saves having to make and mount a wooden handle.

These tools are really easy to use, and very effective at removing wood on end grain.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I have a similar one. I'll take some pictures and post em.
Rowdy has made a pdf of it maybe he could be persuaded to post it.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
If you want to take the route of making your own it's easy to do, I am not claiming this to be the best but it is the one I claim to have made many of and they have always worked well for me. Plus they are cheap a s chips init?
Get yourself if you don't already have one, an old socket set, drill and tap a hole in the square end shove it in a handle, and put some tool steel inside secure it with a screw and start spinning.

P1080042.resized.JPG

Lengthen it with the extension bars of the socket set.

P1080045.resized.JPG

Not long enough use another or add a bar.

P1080044.resized.JPG

Cant be bothered to make your own tools buy a cheap set of these a tool for every job init?

P1080041.resized.JPG

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Well I treated myself to the Sorby Multi tip in the end.

Had a look at the Simon Hope ones at Doug's as well, which if I was intending doing closed hollow forms would definitely be on the shopping list. I think I'm a way off that yet though. Need to get better at the stuff I'm doing before thinking about that kind of stuff.

I'm looking forward to this weekend when I can give it a spin.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).