• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Which Wax?

Mr Finch

First Name
Coll
Nice simple question, probably with a thousand answers.

I am not a fan of the CA finish, so I use Hut Crystal Coat.

I have seen a number of turners put a wax on top for the extra shine.

Which would you recommend? I have narrowed it down to Renaissance Wax, Liberon carnauba wax stick or the Chestnut Microcrystalline Wax.

Of course, there may be others and I am open to suggestions!

Coll

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
If your using Hut Crystal then why not the hut polish sticks brown for a satin finish fawn for a gloss finish they are designed for pens with a clay compound mixture for long life I used it for years in fact I still have one of each which I have never used but I now use libron woodturners stick myself over the top of eee polish just because I like it for other things as well as pens the libron stick has carnauba wax in it which is one of the hardest waxes around if not the hardest
But as you say there are a thousand different ways and they are all right you just need to find the one that you like

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Another vote here for Chestnuts microcrystalline wax, in fact I have a mop that I use just for this wax :thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Liberron Canauba Wax Stick two coats polish first one buff the second been using one stick for 18 yrs 1/3 worn, love it. This is never my sole finish but works for me.

Peter.:goesred:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).