• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Boiling Wood

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I've never been a conventional person and have always been eager to test things out at the age of 8 I took a radio apart, albeit my brothers and despite it never working again, I had a thirst to check things out.

Yesterday I wanted to see if boiling wood to dry it, get rid of the sap and stop it cracking worked. To some extent I proved that it gets rid of the sap and dries incredibly quickly but I don't think it would have split anyway. So I would now like to try to boil some green wood and have a go with that. I have plenty of wood and due to me being banned from the kitchen and not wanting to spend another night in the pond I've decided to make something that can take larger wood. My initial thoughts are an oil drum but I would need something to heat it. I don't want to make a fire unless its contained within the barrel somehow.

My questions are:

1. has anyone experience of boiling wood
2. Any design ideas on the boiler?

Or am I wasting my time?

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
A few months ago with some friends I bought a 60 kilo pig on a farm when we arrived the farmer had heated water with a gas burner under a 44 gallon drum to place the pig in a bath using water at a specific high temperature. So for ease of making a gas burner under a drum of water for starters cheap way to go. Boiling water is dangerous weigh up the ads and disads first.

Peter.

One full time turner here had the opposite problem he kept a largish above ground pool to house his Aussie burl in to prevent splitting enabling him to turn wet much easier and then dry the bowls etc preturned less to dry saves time all round.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
A few months ago with some friends I bought a 60 kilo pig on a farm when we arrived the farmer had heated water with a gas burner under a 44 gallon drum to place the pig in a bath using water at a specific high temperature. So for ease of making a gas burner under a drum of water for starters cheap way to go. Boiling water is dangerous weigh up the ads and disads first.

Peter.

One full time turner here had the opposite problem he kept a largish above ground pool to house his Aussie burl in to prevent splitting enabling him to turn wet much easier and then dry the bowls etc preturned less to dry saves time all round.

Blimey, I thought that you were supposed to be a hardy lot, Gone soft in the head giving a pig a bath, just hope you didnt use conditioner after the shampoo??

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Paul after our chat about boiling ..I know you are thinking big but how do you think it would work in a pressure cooker.

Jim

Grand Master
I have a few Traveler friends i could send down to you Paul, they could help out with the fire issue for sure .. :whistling:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I know you said bigger stuffmPaul, but if you just want to use a pot how about this from Argos?

I bought one recently with the intention of trying bentwood rings - road to hell and all that!

Thanks David, I got one from Go Outdoors which I currently use to melt my wax to end seal and also to melt pewter.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul

Peter.

Ha ha, Good advice Peter, but from someone who jumps from his garage to house. Well attempts it anyway. :funny::funny:

Seriously though it is good advice and advice I'll heed.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Paul after our chat about boiling ..I know you are thinking big but how do you think it would work in a pressure cooker.

I think that it would work Frankie, I guess with the lid off but you could only get small chunks in it and I'm thinking... Well forest :funny::funny:

or rather a few bigger bits anyway.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I have a few Traveler friends i could send down to you Paul, they could help out with the fire issue for sure .. :whistling:

They'd probably sort out the fact that I've got copper cable too... I'll give that a miss thanks Jim. :funny:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).