• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Terry isn't just a Plonker

Jim

Grand Master
Terry mentioned in here a few weeks ago how he uses his Transfer Punches in his tubes when squaring off the ends of his blanks, well, thanks for this tip my friend, i was able to use two of them in the making of the large SN Gents pen I made last week .. Although the big tube was slightly too big for the largest of the punches it still gave me a good job... Used an old mandrel the headstock and a Jacobs chuck to hold the punches... :thumbs:

Cheers Terry... :wink:

pen_mandrel.jpg

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Jim are you using the old mandrel minus the tube mounting rod as a sanding disc ..I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at ?

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Ed's not the only one, and I've got all my own teeth... I bought them. :funny::funny:

Jim

Grand Master
Jim are you using the old mandrel minus the tube mounting rod as a sanding disc ..I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at ?

Jim, Is the bit in the headstock something like the bottle stopper arbour ? If so, how did you attached the sanding disc?

Guys, In the headstock is an old mandrel that was milled to give a straight edge which i place sticky back sandpaper on. When i use it for 7mm tubes i just place the rod back into the model and place the blank by hand onto the rod.. HTH ... :bwink:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Guys, In the headstock is an old mandrel that was milled to give a straight edge which i place sticky back sandpaper on. When i use it for 7mm tubes i just place the rod back into the model and place the blank by hand onto the rod.. HTH ... :bwink:

Out of interest Jim what grade of sandpaper do you use when squaring your blanks off ??????:thinks:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed

Well I was almost there but I still couldn't grasp why there was a tenon on the barrel ( at the headstock end) but I now realise that it is the end of the transfer punch.:contacts:

But is it not quicker and more efficient to use a barrel trimmer ?

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
IMHO Barrel trimmers can kill as many blanks as they flatten its very hard to find one that is sharp as not aggressive as easy to find blunt as hopeless. I have never lost a blank using a disk sander and aligned mandrel tool.

Peter.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Well I was almost there but I still couldn't grasp why there was a tenon on the barrel ( at the headstock end) but I now realise that it is the end of the transfer punch.:contacts:

But is it not quicker and more efficient to use a barrel trimmer ?

Try using one on a soft or spalted pen blank and they more often than not tear the grain out Ed I always use a sander with the fence at the moment till I make a Terry device

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Try using one on a soft or spalted pen blank and they more often than not tear the grain out Ed I always use a sander with the fence at the moment till I make a Terry device

I have mate ..point taken!

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I have been doing this for years with a bit of scratch in bottle cap.
Works for me every time.

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill

That's why I keep ripping the sodding things to bits on the pillar drill, all becomes clear now :funny:

Will be getting my Wolfcraft disc sander operational this weekend, so hopefully should be a thing of the past.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).