• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

myford

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Need to source some parts for this old boy
All the drive cogs are missing anyone know
What bits are needed cheers Frankie.

Jim

Grand Master
Well Frankie, i hope i am still around when you restore this beauty my friend .. :wink:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
That looks largely complete Frankie although more pictures or a close look would be handy.
Myford went into receivership and RDG tools have what was salvageable from the factory Click me to see Myford pages at rdg..
You have enough knowledge to know what's what and wire up the motor and check that every that should move does.
Can't quit see the tool post to know the state of that but if can help just shout mate.
Looks like a Myford 8 masterpiece of engineering built to last.
Here's another great source of info on them

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Even better but harder to get parts for these days mind you it don't look like it needs many parts if any.
Hobby in itself restoring that mate I envy you there.
If I remember correctly they were driven by a separate gearbox you could rig up a pulley system for light work.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
He He just realised what I said about the Myford * that's me getting nostalgic about my old wood lathe init?
Keep your eye on this one
There are plenty of gears available on Ebay its knowing which ones you need thats the issue to solve.
A handbook would help.

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
I think there are some bits apart from the cogs missing it all runs i've had it in my shed for years no space to set it up but thought i would try and get it going again.

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Frankie ... is this what they call a labour of love ... it will be a great achievement once its up and running.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
A long time ago I had a mate who had one and he got the design for the gearbox from a magazine and cut all the gears, cast the housings , made several of them in his lunchtime, before and after work where we both worked me in a central outfit doing Electrical Maintenance he was in a former life an owner of a motor rewinding business. He was employed adjacent to a well equipped metal workshop in another division from me.

Why I mention this is because there are sure to be Myford oriented groups on the net when trawled will reveal the gear sizes etc my mate knew them all from his memory his Myford was at his home. Unfortunately I learned last week he is in a care situation with advanced alzeimers. Ces la vie. The lathes were small and well made enabling so many people to have and operate there own.

Trust you win this challenge.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I mentioned in another tread that my old dad had a Myford ML7.
When mum died he moved into the house, I grew up with it in the house as did my sister.
This has absolutely no relevance whatsoever I just felt like saying it.

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Striped down the old lathe and gave the cast a paint will take pics
The weekend struggling to find the parts it needs a quadrant for the gears
That drive the lead screw .

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).