• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

hi from pen turning beginner in north derbyshire.

sharpy

Apprentice Member
First Name
matt
Im a complete beginner in the world of pen turning. as yet, ive not purchased any lathes or accessories. there seems a massive choice on the market and have registered on here to benefit from others experiences and advice on what I should be looking at.
regards

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Welcome, I'd say you're in the right place as this place is friendly without everyone being "up their own arris"

There is a massive choice for sure, your budget will narrow it down, unless it's a big budget, in which case your in for a fun ride trying to choose :funny:

Ask away as there are lot's of people with a huge knowledge on here.

I'll qualify myself out of that group btw, as I have a huge amount still to learn as you will notice from the rubbish I ask occasionally.

Pull up a chair, grab a tea and enjoy your stay !

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Welcome Sharpy, come in, shut the door and sit down.

Now what is it you have already, knowledge equipment etc.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Welcome Sharpy.
What sort of budget do you have? Where will you be staging your miracles? How much room do you have?
I ask because you could just start with a second hand benchtop lathe and perform all of your tasks on this with some modifications.
Or go for the full blown workshop kit and all mod cons, or indeed anywhere in between.
You are located in a good area geographically as we have some experienced members in your area.
Who I am sure would be happy to help you on your way with the benefit of their knowledge.
We are a friendly bunch with plenty of banter and some visit each other regular for swaps, meets etc.
Don't be a stranger ask away dear chap.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Sharpy,

Welcome, but please be careful, they're all totally barking. The further north they go the madder they get, and when they finally trip over the border - well its a psychiatrists dream, job for life up there.

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Hi Sharpy and welcome ...your are joining a great group who's knowledge on wood turning is beyond belief. 24 weeks ago I had used a lathe only once, at school over 50 years ago, now thanks to these lads and lasses I am probably the best pen turner in the country.:wink: Participate ,ask your questions and start to enjoy your new found hobby.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Hi Sharpy you poor ol sod pen making as a hobby well I can truthfully say from this moment on you are a lost cause and skint this is the most addictive and expensive hobby a going and to crown it you want to join this lot oh dear there goes your sanity
welcome and I hope you enjoy your stay before the men in there white coats cart you off dont ever say you weren't warned
From the only sane person left on this forum

sharpy

Apprentice Member
First Name
matt
Grump, thanks for your reply. I was thinking of abenchtop lathe with a budget of around £300. Was thinking of either Record or Jet but I'm open to advice.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).