• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Wish i could get this in the boot

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
That's worth £7.50 of anyones money... but to plank it would cost another pretty penny.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Wish it was closer it would be worth half a dozen trips especially as he is able to cut it into smaller pieces

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Was sure Woody could carry it in his car eventually I still marvel he fitted all his stall stuff in the small car where theres a will theres a way. In the 60,s driving past a lake I saw this piece of sawn timber about 18 ft long alongside a lake at that time working for Rank Xerox in my Mini Van straddled the timber tied it front and back under the van and drove home carefully trusting no police around.

A furniture maker used to give me top sheets, bottom sheets of laminated chip board 35mm thick 8 feet by 12 ft sheets the deal was they were real busy at all timesI had to get it , load it myself I was a lot younger stronger then and I was shelving out a shipping container having welded brackets already so with my 6 by 4 feet trailer edged up to the stack slid the sheets over the trailer and tied three on carefully drove 15 miles home sliced them one at a time on the trailer to 12 ft lengths by 18 inches my dearly beloved and I end for end to the container result new shelves. I had concreted steel posts and welded steel frame for a shed alongside the 20 ft shipping container and I saw a cheap add in the paper for huge Oregon beams twenty feet long out with the trailer brought them home pitched a roof over the container and shed on my own. That week another cheap add for 10 bucks forty sheets of 1/2 inch insulation sheets sisalation each side enough to cover the container (they have a flat roof).

Ah youth and have a go combined so that part of a tree cut up piece of cake in the trailer iI still use regard it like a right arm.

When I bought the steel container in the 90,s it had been abused doors left open had to replace a third of the floor patch axe cuts ground the orange paint of the whole thing with a four inch grinder painted it a dark green, when a truck brought it to my place had to cut steel side fence posts to get it in off the main road they slid it off twelve feet from where I wanted it had to leave quickly so I used a 10 ft length of steam pipe and a block of wood a foot square levered the 2.2 ton thing into place Wilma was real worried as I levered each corner up to slip a concrete block under each corner.

I.m glad I make everything solid cause on the 31st of December in mid flight I threw myself metres to the shed roof alongside the container. guttering then let go, landed on a security screen door it seems made a right mess of that. All true and alls well that ends well. Pic side of shed attached to the shipping container, whats left of the security screen bottom right.

Me and Archimedes get along well with his theories.

Kind regards Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0005.JPG
    DSCF0005.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 51

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Jim, you could probably get a lorry to deliver it for a reasonable amount or rent a trailer. Just a thought.

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Jeez, what great potential!!! If it was around the corner from me I would put the missus in harness and have her haul it home:banana::fart:fart::mooney2::tongue:

Bob.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Just over the £100 mark with 17 hours to go, be a bit too rich for my blood especially when you consider the waste you would get on a trunk like that, though it will be interesting to see what it finishes at.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Finished at 220 quid Wow.

Yew can split horribly, I've an 8"x 8" x 6' beam that was given to me as it split so much it was no longer any use to the guy who bought it, so it's a bit of a risk paying that sort of money for a fairly freshly felled trunk. :nooidea:

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Had a quote to plank it on site and remove it to Bedford area, but the seller didnt get back to me to confirm that you could get the wood mizer within ten yards. £235 plus fuel. Looks a nice piece of wood, should have been fairly straight grained looking at the bark, timber wouldnt have had much feature but would still have been lovely timber.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).