• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

New set of turning tools, advise please.

Penfold

Hi everyone.

Hope you are all well, I am looking for a new or used full sized set of turning tools, at reasonable price, on a bit of a tight budget, I have the Modular Micro Turning Tools, which I don't really like, I turn mainly pens, any advise please.

Thank you
David

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
David, Perhaps you do not need a full set as you say most of us use only a few collecting the others when demod by so called inventors or afficianados of chisels. When you but drills just buy the ones you need full sets harbour so many drills you do not need yet. If you apply this as you go establish which way you want to travel aided by those who have been there before.

Have success Peter.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Hi David a full set would be a waste of money mate you say you turn mainly pens then all I can see that you will need are a roughing gouge and or a spindle gouge and a skew and that really is all you need it all the rest that may be in a full set will just be ornaments in your workshop

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
I second Peter, David. I use a full-size 3/4" skew, a roughing gouge and (more for kit less pens) a 1/8" parting tool. If you buy Axminster budget range you can get those for £45 - cheaper than their budget set which is not far off £70! Otherwise keep an eye out for individual chisels secondhand.

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
Got to agree with Peter David, why a set??
did you use all those in the set you have?

For pens I use a spindle gouge and sometimes a skew, that's it.

Not buying a full set would probably mean you could get a better quality of the ones you need.
Ashley Isles / Sorby are a couple of decent ones

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I second Peter, David. I use a full-size 3/4" skew, a roughing gouge and (more for kit less pens) a 1/8" parting tool. If you buy Axminster budget range you can get those for £45 - cheaper than their budget set which is not far off £70! Otherwise keep an eye out for individual chisels secondhand.

You can make a parting tool on a grinder with a masonry nail and it will be just as good as any you can buy I will be making one in a few days and I will show you it I have just found these on ebat two gouges and a skew not a parting tool as stated Woodturning chisels | eBay and another one Record Power tools Wood Turning channel Spindle gouge chisel lathe tool | eBay

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Woody would a masonry drill work too?

Yes Ed but it is only the tip that is hard on most of them you could probably fashion a small scrapper from one a good metal I quite often use is silver steel and harden it and apparently the steel rods in photo copiers is good tool steel

Jim

Grand Master
A close eye on ebay may lead you to individual tools David, that is if you can wait for them of course .. Good luck my friend .. :thinks:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).