• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

An old bullet ,a bit of old wood and a piece of plastic.

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Bullet pen MkII made from a MkVII .303 shell case by Kynoch Birmingham dated 1935, a scrap of ebony from a broken Edwardian walking cane and a piece of Black Camo acrylic. No clip so as to leave visible proof of the authenticity of the shell case. I also made this one slightly longer ( 5mm) than my MkI prototype.

Attachments

• IMG_5817.JPG
    IMG_5817.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 50

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Like the concept Ed but this looks like too many different parts stuck together, the 5 joins just don't 'flow' for me, sorry.

Point taken Steven ...but I must admit I'm struggling to see the fifth join... must be my Glaucoma.:funny::funny::funny:

oops ..got it ..5 pieces / 4 joins :thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Ed that's a very nice pen well thought out but for me the blank is a bit too feminine.
So much nicer all black, just my opinion and I would prefer a clip but understand why you left it off.

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Ed that's a very nice pen well thought out but for the blank is a bit too feminine.
So much nicer all black, just my opinion and I would prefer a clip but understand why you left it off.

Thanks Brian ...used what I had available, just like a kid wont wait ,want it now :rolling:

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Would have liked to see it all in Ebony to be honest, but maybe you didn't have a bit long enough ?

But as for finish etc, spot on and well made.

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Well, it works for me, Ed! S'got a nice flow to it that satisfies my eye. Only one thing - I reckon, if you made another one, that you'd be able to attach a suitable clip (from somewhere in the spares box) without hiding the all-important info impressed on the striker. Go for it, matey!

Bob.

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Would have liked to see it all in Ebony to be honest, but maybe you didn't have a bit long enough ?

But as for finish etc, spot on and well made.

Phil at the time I only had a tiny piece of ebony ...but now thanks to paulm (thanks Paul) the next could well be all ebony.

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Well, it works for me, Ed! S'got a nice flow to it that satisfies my eye. Only one thing - I reckon, if you made another one, that you'd be able to attach a suitable clip (from somewhere in the spares box) without hiding the all-important info impressed on the striker. Go for it, matey!

Bob.

Thanks Bob ..yep a clip could be added ..have had a couple of ideas since your suggestion, so watch this space.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Nice Pen Ed. I've been thinking about clips and the possibility of making them from the clips they use in machine guns. Then you only attach it around the side of the shell instead of directly to the top.

Onwards and upwards. It won't be long before we've developed a world class pen that can be sold to secret agents all over the place. Where is 'Q' when you need him. :nooidea:

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Nice Pen Ed. I've been thinking about clips and the possibility of making them from the clips they use in machine guns. Then you only attach it around the side of the shell instead of directly to the top.
You have to find some 303 machine gun clip if you wanted to do that one but with .308 it would be easy ish to get them I have a machine gun belt under my bed that been deprimed

Onwards and upwards. It won't be long before we've developed a world class pen that can be sold to secret agents all over the place. Where is 'Q' when you need him. :nooidea:

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Jim

Grand Master
Great looking pen Ed, and a lot of work involved in making it for sure. I think you are on the right track though when you say that you will be making MK3 using just one piece of Ebony and adding the clip, look forward to seeing this .. Well done sir, and another good looking pen added to your collection. :bwink:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
I am not a great lover of these bullet pens

Once again I'm in a conundrum :thinks: I'm also left fairly cold by these bullet pens but really don't want to be forced to agree with Terry ::banghead::banghead:

:funny::funny::funny:

Can't fault your workmanship though Ed :thumbs::thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Ed thats a screamer as it is no doubt in my mind, I like the cartridge info gives a new twist to this type of pen as well as a reason to make them other than decorative your finish on the old cartridge is superb. There seems to be plenty of length in the top piece to inset a filler and a cut in clip IMHO. Like to hear the result of showing it to fellow shell folks there are no beaches around this fair country with such history thank goodness. In my travels in the UK I marvel at the resilience of the people under tough circumstances. I was never given to trying to determine how a pen is made more interested in what is shown and the story behind it this is the provenance for me in this case history easily proved at the top of the pen the cartridge is 79 yrs old by my reckoning since I am one year older thats a heck of a story in itself. Gratefull you shared this with us mate. We face another day of around 40 degrees C your pen brought some cool to me before 7am here.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).