• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Fig...

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi, Guys,

Had a short length of fig in the workshop from 2012 still in its bark so thought I'd make a pen blank. Turned some bark off and noticed splits that were not apparent before then, and also the coarse grain. Rather than go through the process of turning it only to toss it in the bin, I thought I'd upload for comments. It is yellow in colour.
Has anyone turned fig, and what was the outcome?

Bob.

Fig..JPG
Thanks, chaps.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Branch wood can often be like this, best bet would be to try & salvage some pen blanks from it.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
No help here either Bob but give it a go. If is very fibrous, give it a bit of thin ca when you're getting close.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Looks like the bark holds on why not with the thin branch pieces try a rustic natural bark pen there is in Tasmania a species called the horizontal tree that holds its bark used for souveniers of that state. A long biro firm fit in the end you have a conversation piece pen. Splits satay where they belong.:thumbs:

Peter.

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
I have turned a pen out of Fig, a few years ago. The wood is prone to having internal shakes that are not visible from the outside, so blanking up is a bit hit and miss.
In the end I discovered that it was best to leave it unsealed in the round. Yes, some of the smaller stuff didn't survive, but the larger pieces developed one or two significant cracks from the pith to the outside. Cutting a blank from between these shakes seemed to alleviate the internal problems.
After all that, the wood finished to a very bland creamy white, though I do suspect it would colour well.
Neil

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi, guys,

Thanks for your replies. I think I'll leave it as it is at the moment to see if those cracks get worse.

Bob.

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
Bob, give it a go - cut up some blanks and when you come to turn them fill the cracks and splits with a contrasting colour and CA. (Metal Powders etc...) Just a thought.... :thinks::thinks:
Could look nice....

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Kind regards Peter.Couple of quick out the yard pics of treen using that Horizontalis I mentioned before useful uses for bark on timber. Turned by a famous Turner lives near here and has sold incredible numbers of them.

Kind regards Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0008.JPG
    DSCF0008.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF0012.JPG
    DSCF0012.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 6
Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).