• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

A black butterfly - What next?

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi, All,

While in the workshop this morning a dark object fluttered past my face. I recoiled in horror, thinking I was being attacked by one of the many vampire bats that live in the dark corners. They are relatives of the Wife, who has condemned these cretins to the workshop on account of them shitting all over the house. While fumbling for a crucifix I suddenly realised that the creature was a black butterfly (I kid you not!) I was amazed at this, seeing as how my workshop is as cold as being in the garden, and that the earliest one expects to see this lovely things is in the Spring. I managed to cup it in my hands and released it outside. As soon as it flew off I regretted not taking a piccy before releasing it.
I've just done a search on the Internet, and there are no European species that are all black. However, there were many suggestions about mutants (which now makes me think it is related to the Wife after all). The other query of course would be - how come it hatched despite the cold temperatures? I bet it's not gonna survive outside. Poor little bugger!
Ain't Nature wonderful?

Bob.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
We had some red admirals in the old factory that were so dark they were almost black, they flew around all year round it seemed as we often disturbed one that was still alive in the winter time.
Strange init?

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Bob some butterflies hibernate over winter, some migrate like birds. Your butterfly wont have hatched, you have more than likely woken it up by generating a small amount of heat with your shin-ani-kins in the shed. 48 F is the minimum temperature for insects to become active. Yours was probably a melenistic variety of the Tortioseshell which you have aroused. One thing is certain though is by releasing it outside it's chances of survival is a hundred percent zero. It would have been prudent to leave it to resettle down to see the rest of the winter out. Now don't you feel the rotter .:goesred:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Swine... Keel Haul him... probably the last of a species... gone forever.:funny::funny:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Man it really pays to share with your mates doesnt it. When faced with the unexpected the actions we take surprise even us no doubt your kindness will be recognised in Nirvana.

Peter.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Bob,

I wasn't half confused, I've had three of them in the house recently. I go with your theory about vampires as they all arrived after the Mother in Law had visited. I reckon they hatched in the pile of twigs we found alongside a broom handle that appeared in the conservatory.

They also were very black and it was only when I managed to capture one that I realised it was a friendly Red Admiral and not some heineous devil bug imported from Clevedon by the Mother in Law.

When I realised what it was I released it, happy to share the warmth of my home with one of natures beautiful creatures rather than condemn it to a prolonged freezing death.

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Jeez, guys, you've made me feel bad! I had no idea there are so many butterfly-huggers on the forum!
The real reason I released it was in case it flew into one of my many spiders webs - death by spider has to be one of the most appalling ways to kick off, right?

Red Admiral? Maybe it was an African variety, LOL!

Bob.

Jim

Grand Master
Don't feel bad Bob, you never put it between two sheets of Glass .. :winking:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).