• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

First attempt at proper turning!

Matt

Registered
Hello everyone.
Had a bit of time today so thought I'd bite the bullet and put some proper wood on my new lathe and attempt my first bowl. I'm new to turning and, up till now, I've been using softwood offcuts to mess around with. Needless to say that I found hardwood very very different!
The wood is obviously Ash and measures approx 8" X 4", the wall thickness is approx 6mm (too scared I'd screw it up if I went any thinner!) Tools used were a chepo Axminster bowl gouge and my homemade carbide cutter tool. Finished with Chestnuts Woodwax 22. Really really enjoyed making it and very keen to turn more.
Apologies for the picture quality but too little light to take them outside and lost a lot of resolution when resizing them!
View attachment 3967

ps. Many thanks to Jim for answering all my newbie questions :thumbs:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
That looks fantastic Matt ..I wish I had the where-withall to do something like that ...brilliant mate.:thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
What a damn fine bowl Matt.
Don't apologise for the pictures it's a real treat to see your first bowl.
That is absolutely cracking mate well done.
Pleased you enjoyed it so much too there'll be now stopping you now init?

Jim

Grand Master
That is a very nice bowl, considering that it was your first one Matt, me and a few more on here would be proud to put our names to this for sure .. The picture does show the quality of the finish and shape also, very nice indeed Sir ... :thumbs

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
That it very very good Matt and even better for being your first bowl. I can't wait to see what you're turning in a few months time.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Mat that is bloody fantasmagorical me ol cocker well done you, most turners would be proud to put there name to it they is a very good shape and finish give yourself a pat on the back

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Think about it what Mat is really saying you pen turners aint not propa turners :funny::funny::funny::funny::funny::funny:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Matt I find the footed bowl appealing and extremely practical in purpose. The detailed lines on the foot draw interest and I could see that taking pride of place used for a variety of things.

Join with everyone first bowl congratulations I belong to the thicker walled group with use over fragility.

Peter.:thumbs:

Matt

Registered
Thanks guys, really good to have such a positive response :thumbs: I must admit to having a couple of scary moments whilst turning it but I guess that comes with practice (hopefully!)
I got my lathe late last year but then moved house so have only had odd minutes on it until now. Going to make sure that changes from now on :winking:

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
If that's a first attemp I can't wait to see what you do when youve been practising !

That is a really lovely bowl, the foot detail is a nice touch and the shape is great, finish looks superb as well.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).