• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

A bit of fun with wet yew !

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Thought I'd give this a whirl. From my freebie Yew, hollowed out with the Multi tip for practice, turned as thin as I dare (about 3/16ths thick wall). Love the wet streamers off it, good fun to do for sure. It's about 5 inch tall and hollowed for nearly 4 inches a good learning curve and fun to do.

Will be interested to see what happens to it over the next few days, it was moving shape as I turned it, odd experience.

I'm looking forward to getting this Yew dried, there's some lovely purple colours in it and pips and all sorts.

SAM_2789a.JPG
SAM_2790a.JPG
SAM_2791a.JPG
SAM_2792a.JPG

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Bloody well done mate so pleased you enjoyed your first bit of wet turning bet it wont be your last

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
It a slippery slope this hollowing lark & it looks like you`re plummeting downhill mate :funny:

Great effort Phill, I can see you`re hooked :thumbs::thumbs:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Nice one Phil, wet you changes shape as it dries and should give you a nice but funny shaped object.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
That's really Kewel as Charlotte says.
Glad you enjoyed the wet turning it sure can be fun.
Looking forward to the next masterpiece from yew init?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Have you got any sycamore Phill that is the absolute bees knees to turn wet with shavings flying over your shoulder

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Soon you will be surrounded by plates, bowls, part turned awaiting dry time and building an addition or another shed for storage. Over here I have been in quite a fret with the scorching heat and my timber storage it constitutes a fire hazard. Down to 26 C today a welcome relief all round. There was stray ash and leaves blown from fire areas yesterday wind around 100 km in gusts. A lot of the devastating fires are found to be lit by weird people.

Progress on this hollowing like to see it dry.

Peter.

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
Well Done Phil, thats a beaut, will be interesting to see it when its dry, both for the shape but more for the colours that Yew can produce...:thumbs::thumbs:

Corbs

Apprentice Member
Well done Phil! Looks great. Wish I could turn yew but tried it once and my skin on my hands went all funny for a couple of weeks.
Would love to see it when it's dried.
Best regards
Chris

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Wrap it in a newspaper Phill you will be surprised how much difference it makes

+1 for this, or pop it in a paper bag, the vase I showed you had been in a paper bag for a couple of months before I discarded it & left the vase to finish drying on the shelf.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).