• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Casting Molds

Jim

Grand Master
I enquired about these moulds as i thought that they would be great for my PR casting due to the problems i am having with the PR sticking in the tubes etc. The guy Fred, got back to me with the posting costs at $60 as he uses a tracking due to losses here in the UK. My order was for $118 .. Now i am undecided to whether it is worth it or not ... :thinks:

Custom Silicone Pen Molds

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Jim, before you blow a wad of cash why not check out the mould-making tutorials on IAP? They look fairly easy and you could have a few tries for $180! (The link is to the 'Casting' section of the IAP library, just scroill through to pick up the ones about making silicone moulds.)

I haven't tried it myself, I must confess although I intend to quite soon.

Oh, you have to be a regsitered memebr to see/download the tutorials but it's free if you're haven't already registered.

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Hi Jim ,Yes Jimjam is right go to iap library look in casting scroll down and theres one made of wood
you will need need the pouring silicone from ebay about 19 quid say a fortune good luck i am going to do it when my shed is sorted,Frankie.

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Jim just an idea i am going to try when i'm set up, is take your pvc tube cut to the size you want to cast
drive a Stanley knife straight down its complete length bind it with masking tape then cast after cured cut down tape
then just twist in your fists should release, what do you think? Frankie.

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Sorry Jim ,when i say drive the knife down it i mean 1 cut to form a seem not split in half cheers Frankie.

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks for the info guys, your correct, i am sure it can be done with a little practice ... :thinks:

Frankie, i am not sure if you idea would work, but i may give it a go this weekend if i have problems with my last casting as i sprayed these with a releasing agent ... :nooidea:

Jim

Grand Master
This is the one that i would like to emulate more than any other. :bwink:

3-4Vertical-thumb.jpg

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I was toying with the idea of doing some moulds, but i will leave this to my mate Jim. :bwink:

I know where to come for a freebie :mooney2:

Jim

Grand Master
Well i made the mould template using 3/4 plywood, the box is 6" x 6". The rubber mould will be an open one for making slabs. I have placed two corian slabs 5½ square in the box to form the pouring area. I made the mistake of not spraying the box with mould release before poring it ... :rolling: It was stood right beside me to ... :goesred: I may get away with this as i screwed all the sides together rather than glue them, so hopefully when i take it apart it will come free easily. :nooidea:

rubber_silicone_pen_blank_mold.jpg

Jim

Grand Master
how was the silicone to mix Jim.

Very easy to mix, but loads of bubbles, so i had to slow down with the stirring. If i was to do this regular i would look at getting a de-gassing chamber, on the cheap of course ... :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).