• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Japanese handtools??

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
There saws cut on the pull stroke which is supposed to be better and the steel in there tools is laminated which is supposed to hold its edge better and take a better edge other than that I dont know
They will tell you anything for another sale and at the end of the day that's all it is yet another tool to fill the draw up LOL

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
With their saws they tend to reverse the cut so they cut on the back stroke and by the way all the normal differences customs of their forefathers. Being masters of steel for ever it seems they produce layered quality blades and chisels. Then as in most things these days one time preferences went never Japanese Chinese Italian products now its Japanese Italian Taiwanese Mainland China. A few of my experiences but normally Japanese manufacturers are recognised highly for their hand tool quality. As normal you tend to get what you pay for.

Peter.

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
As Woody says they cut in reverse but also because they are laminated they can make the blade thinner than conventional western saws. The cutting edge is also better than conventional saws. I have got one and they are superb !!!!

Jim

Grand Master
I have a Japanese blade in my Nobex miter saw, I don't know much what it does, but I can honestly tell you there is a difference in the feel of the cut .. If that makes sense.. :thinks:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Japanese saws are great until you use them on very hard timber then you can start & lose teeth off your saw pretty quick.

Most Japanese tools are designed to be used in a squatting or kneeling position so don`t always swop to western ways of working, their chisels chip very easily as the steel is so hard, in fact they are made up of hard & soft steel, the hard part a thin layer that is where the cutting edge is the soft part to add stability but is easily abraded when sharpening.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Very much as Doug says.
From my learnings with hardening knife blades case hardening hardens and tempers the outside edges only where the blade requires honing.
The inside and rest of the blade is left soft for flexibility, when this hard area is worn away by sharpening the blade requires a further case hardening to refresh the blade to a stage where it can be honed again.
Damascus steel is reputed to be the hardest and matians the sharpest edge for the longest period, folded many times under heat to achieve this edge, much revered by chefs.
I could be wrong as I am still learning but have produced some great looking knives so far.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Just got my Club notes the speaker is a Japanese full time woodworker who has moved into Canberra studied worked lectured for ten years so I will be better informed re Japan in general and specific tools , he also runs courses on making Japanese Planes.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).