• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

This one has been a labour of love.

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
This is an Ash bowl measuring 13in dia x 3.5 in deep. It is from the same Ash tree as the one Woody posted last week.
It was originally 14.5in in diameter but it cracked on the rim so it went back on the lathe for reworking. After being reworked I gave it 6 coats of finishing oil but after polishing I decided I didn't like the it so it went back on the lathe for reskimming with a scraper.
The finished article has 3 coats of sanding sealer and 4 coats of acrylic satin lacquer and then burnished.
It is now back in the shed until ambient temperature rises and the central heating can be switched off and then it can be brought inside without fear of further cracking.

Attachments

• DSCN0090.JPG
    DSCN0090.JPG
    360.3 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCN0091.JPG
    DSCN0091.JPG
    248.5 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCN0092.JPG
    DSCN0092.JPG
    177.2 KB · Views: 44

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Well that's looking good, Ed, and well worth the work you've put in. Here's hoping it remains the attractive bowl it is at present. Well done, matey!

Bob.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Very nice Terry love the contrasting colours very well turned and finished had it moved much when you re-turned it mine had it still isn't finished yet it is to cold and damp out there for oiling it is making the oil to thick and tacky I will have to put the heater on for a while just to warm it up a bit

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
First Name
Terry
It hasn't moved at all Woody but I agree about the oil being too thick and that is why I skimmed it off and used sanding sealer and lacquer. I may give it another coat of lacquer when the weather warms up !!!

Shaver

First Name
Tam
Great form, I really like it, and love the finish. Probably the best choice as I also find that oil tends to give Ash a yellowish tinge.

Not the normal way to turn a bowl, ie end grain. I just hope it stays together for you. One thing I see, and it may just be the photo, is that the foot seems a bit small for a working bowl. Assuming this is what it is to be used for, I would normally say minimum size of 1/3rd dia. the foot seems to be about 1/4 dia.

With all that I would be proud to see that on my sideboard. :love_it:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Antarctica...that's what it looks like or Australia (a bit) ....love it Terry .:thumbs:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
First Name
Terry
Great form, I really like it, and love the finish. Probably the best choice as I also find that oil tends to give Ash a yellowish tinge.

Not the normal way to turn a bowl, ie end grain. I just hope it stays together for you. One thing I see, and it may just be the photo, is that the foot seems a bit small for a working bowl. Assuming this is what it is to be used for, I would normally say minimum size of 1/3rd dia. the foot seems to be about 1/4 dia.

With all that I would be proud to see that on my sideboard. :love_it:

It is the angle that I took the photo. The base is around 1/3 of the size of the bowl. I didn't put a foot as such on it as I wanted it to "sweep" up from the table !!!

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).