• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Hi Newbie need advice

DaveKnott

Apprentice Member
hi I have just joined this forum I have been looking at differernt tools to buy to start making pens. I don't know where to start any help would be greatly appreciated, I own a lathe and a few old chisels but nothing much more cheers

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Hi & welcome Dave :waver:

You don't need special chisels a sharp roughing gouge will do.

A mandrel is a good idea though not essential, as is a barrel trimmer.

It's very easy to get started what you want to spend is up to you.

Happy turning :thumbs:

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
I use a 10mm parting tool, a continental spindle gouge, or a roughing gouge, depends on what mood I'm in! If it cuts, use it, if it scrapes throw it away!

The only speciality tool I use is a miniature parting tool to cut the tenons on euro pens.

Over time I've come to prefer the miniature continental spindle gouge from Ashley isles and a small roughing gouge that some turner has claimed as his signature tool. The mini continental spindle gouge cost me nine quid without the handle.

Good investment is some good abrasive, 120-400 or 600, abranet is excellent. And a roll of blue paper from your local hardware store for friction polish.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Hi Dave,

It is a bit daunting to begin with but it really is very simple to make a basic pen. There are plenty of videos on youtube to get you started such as this one Beginning Pen Making Part 1, Pen Styles, Tools, and Getting Started. Basic Pen Turning explained - YouTube but have a look at lots of them because there are so many different techniques.

I use a roughing gouge to get the blank round and get rid of most of what I don't want and then a skew chisel to finish it off. I use a mandrel kit that I initially bought from ebay and trim the ends of the blanks before turning with a barrel trimmer, also off ebay.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Hi and welcome some good advice has been given you dont need a lot of tools to start with you can make any pen you like with just the tools that have been mentioned whatever tools you decide on go for good quality tools
To start with you have choices of chisels a roughing gouge or a continental spindle gouge to remove a bulk of the waste wood then a skew about 1/2" for your finishing cuts a parting tool for some pen kits as Neil mentioned to cut a tenon which is needed for some centre bands and that is about it
I hope you have found the answers you need to get going and now I look forward to seeing some of your pens when you get going even if you consider them crap because we can then try to help guide you in the right direction Happy turning

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Assuming you want do wood then the Abranet suggestion is excellent, if you want to do Acrylic then get some Micro Mesh 2inch pads (10 quid from Axminster) car polish T cut for polishing but not essential tbh.

You don't sa how much experience you have generally but a roughing gouge 3/4 inch is good enough for most kits.

Pen kits a lot of us get from Timberbits in Australia due to price , keep it under 150 quid (a lot of kits) and you should escape VAT etc on imports, allow 14-20 days for the free delivery option , 20 aus dollars it will take 3-4 days.

Post some pics when you get going!

Oh and welcome to the friendliest place on the web.

:up:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Hi Dave and welcome to the forums...I think you have had some sound advice from those that know.....buy decent quality but keep your spending to within reason as like any hobby you can get carried away. Once your up and away then you can invest in all the fancy named stuff.

DaveKnott

Apprentice Member
Thanks for all the advice greatly appreciated, pens have been the interest since I bought my lathe I've been looking at different pen kits on line and eBay think I will just bite the bullet and buy one. Soon as I start making them (and making mistakes) I will be back asking for help, thanks alot

Paul

Fellow
Hi & welcome Dave :waver:

You don't need special chisels a sharp roughing gouge will do.

A mandrel is a good idea though not essential, as is a barrel trimmer.

It's very easy to get started what you want to spend is up to you.

Happy turning :thumbs:

Dave I echo Doug, it's all you need, BUT then the bug gets ya. If I divide the amount of money I have spent on what I have made so far, then you'd expect my pens to be gold plated.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Hi Dave and welcome to the forums.
I won't give advise at the moment as you already have enough above.
Plus I can't remember the last time I used a gouge and I don't pay for fancy expensive polishes scratches etc.

Paul

Fellow
Oh and not meaning to sound like a creep, but the most "valuable" kit I got was the advice I get whenever I post some pens here the chaps here knew exactly what mistakes I was making - sanding wit the lathe spinning instead of along the grain. No expensive tool would get a better result than the guys advice.

If like me you are daunted by sharpening jigs, the I would suggest you get the sorby pro edge, idiots guide to sharpening. It's expensive but worth it. Also think of health too , dust protection etc.

Jim

Grand Master
Welcome to the forums Dave, i need not repeat what has been said already, all good advice .. :bwink:

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
To be honest the only thing you will need to buy,apart from pen kits and bushes is a mandrel.

You have the most important bits, lathe, turning chisels Ect, ect....

You don't even need to buy that really as you can turn between centres with your bushes..

So you may find you can turn pens already without the need for new toys..:bwink:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
hi I have just joined this forum I have been looking at differernt tools to buy to start making pens. I don't know where to start any help would be greatly appreciated, I own a lathe and a few old chisels but nothing much more cheers

Dave, I have no clue where you live but it from the name infers a golfing establishment, seriously where you live may have a Wood group of some description the most wonderful way to learn with others with no pressure.

Welcome and kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
The main thing I see in videos is the press that is used to put the pens together, I could make one to do job but cannot see why a vice wouldn't work?

a vise dose work i use one up in till i got the press that Brian gave woody

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).