• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Bandsaw stupidity

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
I love my bandsaw, not least because it is (relatively speaking) so much safer than any other type of saw. However, twice in the space of ten days I've tried to cut my thumb off with it ...

First time I was cutting thinnish veneers and, thinking to myself "I should use a push stick but I can't be bothered to stop and reach around for it", I pushed my thumbnail into the blade. Just a nick, but you'd think it would be a wake-up call. Apparently not so much ...

Tonight I was tired and should have stuck to finishing, but I'd blown out a segmented blank and wanted to make up another one 'quickly'. Not too sure what happened, but again I wasn't using the push stick and this time I very nearly cut right to the bone. Lots of blood and a very pale wife having to help me close up and clean out the wound for dressing.

No pics, because its pretty gruesome, but maybe my stupidity will help you guys think before leaving the push stick on the bench!

Some people's sole purpose in life seems to be to serve as a warning example to to others ... :thinks:

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks for posting this David, i myself find that a finger and thumb is much easier and quicker than using a push stick.... :rolling: I now have something here to remind me that i need all my digits to enjoy my turning hobby ... :thumbs:

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Just a small one cut one finger off and to the bone on two other all. At the Same time it only took 12 hours to put back together. One lesson learnt don't put your finger near a blade and lesson two once the blade is blunt replace it

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Just a small one cut one finger off and to the bone on two other all. At the Same time it only took 12 hours to put back together. One lesson learnt don't put your finger near a blade and lesson two once the blade is blunt replace it

Ouch! Glad I'm not the only one, though. The Germans call it Schadenfreude - deriving satisfaction from another's mishap. Did you get all the digits put back and functioning alright? I was scared I'd severed the tendon that runs down the back if the thumb but it appears to all be working okay.

You'd think we'd have learnt by now ...:doh:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).