• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Henry Taylor decorating elf

naxie

Registered
I have one and it can be quite effective, with a little practice. Also looks good used in conjunction with limeing wax. The hog's hair brush comes with it so don't do what I did and order another one! :duh:

Last edited:

Jim

Grand Master
I have looked at this tool in the past Keith, but never gone into some research on how it actually works. Seeing your post i have just had a quick search and watched one video on Youtube. Seeing the result, it does look good.. :bwink:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I got all the burrs and stick em in the end of my homemade tool init?.
Must admit I can't be arsed to use em.

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
I did make one (just drill a hole in the end of a bit of wood the right size for the shaft of the burrs to revolve in). Basically I just wanted to see if it was all it was cracked up to be and to prove I could get the same effect cheaply. You can get some good effects with it but I rarely used it and have no idea where it is now. Gathering dust somewhere like Neil's I expect.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I got all the burrs and stick em in the end of my homemade tool init?.
Must admit I can't be arsed to use em.

That's right Brian I remember you doing it they are all 5 min wonder tools that after a short while just take up room and never see daylight again but we all find out the hard way dont we

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Have to admit I looked at getting the Elf, it was quite expensive & luckily I figured it would be as has been suggested above, something that would be used a few times & then gather dust.

I've instead watched a few You Tube videos of home made chatter tools & think this will be the way I go for patterning end grain on boxes as I can't imagine it will be something I do a lot of.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I've never used one, or seen one and would be interested to see some results.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Have to admit I looked at getting the Elf, it was quite expensive & luckily I figured it would be as has been suggested above, something that would be used a few times & then gather dust.

I've instead watched a few You Tube videos of home made chatter tools & think this will be the way I go for patterning end grain on boxes as I can't imagine it will be something I do a lot of.

Who needs a specific chatter tool, I've got a gouge for that!!!

Pete B

Registered
Hi,

i have one and use it sometimes. They are good for vases, boxes, pens (never used it on a pen though.
Different speeds and tool angle varies the results, as do reverse.
Good with verdigris wax hard buffed with a steel brush ir a different effect with bronze.

But, i would not have bought one had i the common sense to make one myself as Walter and Woody have illustrated.
Same effect fraction of the price.

Regards

Pete

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Who needs a specific chatter tool, I've got a gouge for that!!!

Have to admit I can reproduce some of the effects of the elf with my skew with the added bonus that I don't have to take the piece out of the chuck merely pick it up from where it landed:rant:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
For a shatter tool grind an old hacksaw blade grip it in a Pr of mole grips reset the hight of the toolrest and shatter away different amounts sticking out, different speeds and different grinds give different effects also going in different directions gives opposite effects

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
It looks like a Dremil kit to me ...obviously not though.:thinks:

They are more handy than all of the above you can decorate with them and burrs plus they have many other uses like the decorated boxwood on my tazzas
45 (2).JPG46 (2).JPG

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Over the years many demonstrators fuelled by suppliers fuelled the market with enthusiastic repartee suggesting if you are not making or using you must be in the dark ages get with the new but sadly nothing takes the place of clean lines, variety.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).