• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Buying Pen Kits

Jim

Grand Master
Do you buy in bulk or do you buy if and when needed. I know there is time when we have to visit the local supplier for the accessories needed to keep us going but do you also buy on impulse while in there? How many times have you spent over £100 when all you went in for was some CA glue .. :whistling:

The Wood Bucket

I buy large quantity of items I enjoy doing, and normally only get 1-2 of and item I want to try out. I can't even look in the window without spending $100. LOL:funny:

Jim

Grand Master
Well not spent much this year as i have hardly done any turning, but now i am home i do tend to visit ebay regular looking for ideas ... :whistling:

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
I tend to buy my standard kits in bulk, Gunmetal European and Gunmetal Slimline. Then I add a couple of rollerballs or fountain pens, pencils or stylii to the mix to share postage. I tend to use ebay, and use Helen, Fun-e-turnz, very helpful lady...

Jim

Grand Master
I tend to buy my standard kits in bulk, Gunmetal European and Gunmetal Slimline. Then I add a couple of rollerballs or fountain pens, pencils or stylii to the mix to share postage. I tend to use ebay, and use Helen, Fun-e-turnz, very helpful lady...

When i first started out i also used Fun-e-turnz and found her very reliable. But when i started to increase my needs i found it much cheaper buying in bulk elsewhere.

It is good to have people such as Helen selling her goods off ebay, she does do a good service for local hobbyist ... :thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
Any where in particular you use Jim?

I use this guy the most now Matty Timberbits In Australia To say he is based in Australia buying in bulk saves you £££'s

The other i use is Based in China but only use these now when spending over £250 as postage takes quiet a bit of the costs ..

Again Matty its about what you need and buy at the time, to whom you buy from ... :thumbs:

Should we get more busier in the new year Matty, buying in bulk could save us in the long run ... :thinks:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Will soon be spring buying Jim, thou to be honest i have quite a few kits left. :whistling: I am short of good pen blanks, both wood and acrylic, so these will be the top of my shopping list. :thumbs:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
I too have started to use timberbits. Delivered from Australia to Wales in 5 days and cheaper than Axminster even allowing for import duty. Good service

Jim

Grand Master
I have never had any duty buying from Timberbits Keith, but plenty of duty when buying from China which i now refuse to buy from ... :down:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Jim, I've bought twice from timberbits now spending over 200 aussie dollars each time. Within a week of delivery a bill from tnt has arrived. Apparently the courier collects the import duty

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I wonder if that is due to living in Wales Keith? As i have never had to pay duty from this guy either. :nooidea:

Next time ask him to post your items in two different packages, he has done this for me several times, his idea so he must do it regular? :whistling:

Anyway give us a shout the next time you want to buy from Timberbits, we will see if we can get some bulk buying from him.. :thinks:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
I made a few enquiries on another forum and apparently because I've been buying over 200 dollars at a time to get free postage and delivery by courier in 5 days it all goes through tnt who collect the duty and add £15 on for their efforts. If you spend less and pay 5 dollars postage it goes via normal mail and takes up to 3 weeks but very little chance of getting clobbered with the import duty. Looks like thats what I will do in future.

Jim

Grand Master
Buying from China is now a no no for me for the same reason Keith, the costs of post and then duty no longer makes it a bargain buy. I have bought from the USA several times but had to pay duty only once? :thinks:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
You know what bothers me, its the little things like, spare tubes, refills, and mechanism to name a few, We all need them but buying local makes me cringe. Buying in bulk is the best way of buying these, so next time someone is buying from over seas can we think of sharing the costs? :thinks:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).