• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Walnut bowl

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
It is a nice shape bowl Phill but I think you need to spend a bit more time sanding it has effected the overall look of the finished bowl please take a good look inside and you will see what I'm saying light and dark rings on the side and a some remains of a tear in the wood on the bottom sorry mate but I'm sure you would rather I be honest with you I'm only telling you because I know you can do better

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
You`ve sure been busy Phill, a very nice bowl mate though let down a little with your sanding as Woody says.:thumbs:

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
It is a nice shape bowl Phill but I think you need to spend a bit more time sanding it has effected the overall look of the finished bowl please take a good look inside and you will see what I'm saying light and dark rings on the side and a some remains of a tear in the wood on the bottom sorry mate but I'm sure you would rather I be honest with you I'm only telling you because I know you can do better

Thought peoples eyesight was supposed to fade as they got older :contacts:

You've got eyes like the proverbial outhouse rat haven't you.

I spent ages sanding that and couldn't seem to get it any better, I will be looking for advice next time I'm over your way !

And you're right I wouldn't want you not to say anything, that's why I put my work up here, for honest critique.

Jim

Grand Master
Well turned Phill, i like what i see so will leave the constructive advice from the much better bowl turners than I .. :thumbs:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Thought peoples eyesight was supposed to fade as they got older :contacts:

You've got eyes like the proverbial outhouse rat haven't you.

I spent ages sanding that and couldn't seem to get it any better, I will be looking for advice next time I'm over your way !

And you're right I wouldn't want you not to say anything, that's why I put my work up here, for honest critique.
I went to specsavers Phill :banana::banana::love_it:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
I thought it was great Phil on first view ..but now that the slight error on the finishing has been pointed out by Eagle Eyes at least I have learned something ...still looks good though

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Cut it inside to outside with the bowl gouge trying to take really fine cuts, why?

Just wondered!

What prompted my question is that there is an area of some undulations on the rim around the area where the grain is at right angles to the rim, thought that you might have scrapped it.

Paul

Fellow

Hi woody

i am interested in the solution to this, what is the technical reasons why rings have occured? ie sanded one one grip and moved up a grit too soon?

Clearly you can feel the smoothness at the rougher stages, but I am interested in your observation of "light" do you use shadow and light as a way of telling if there is a consistent "grade" at the higher grits.

Should this be solved by hand sanding - or using paper on a spinning lathe?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Some times when sanding Phill you get to the higher grade grits a light ring will appear as the higher grits begin to polish the wood the reason the rings appear is because some parts of the wood isn't as smooth or polished as others some of the fibres are a fraction lower and wont polish up like the higher fibres I'm sure some one will come up with a technical term for it when this happens it is time to go back a few grits to something a bit more aggressive and remove more wood don't continue with the same grit as it will take forever and build up a lot of heat
Thats my humble attempt to explain it

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).