• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Hi everyone start up equipment advice needed for newbie

kaymania

Apprentice Member
Hi everyone, just to introduce myself here and ask for your help.

Basically I'd like any advice on starting out in pen turning on a tight budget (around £200 incl all bits required etc).
I'm a total novice and recovering from a long illness so just want to start this great and fascinating looking hobby
for an hour or so a day to get me moving and using my brain. I only have an interest in turning pens and nothing else
so please advise just for pens.

I've done a bit of research etc online but problem is I can't stay on pc for hours as my brain function is limited. I'm improving slowly - but this is why I'd like some real help in getting going. I know for sure I only want to turn pens as I do other bits and
pieces of craft so I'm sure I won't want to start doing great big jobs as soon as I invest in a mini lathe!!:-))

Any advice greatly appreciated and thanks for taking the time to read this.

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Hi and welcome keep an eye on ebay for a cheap lathe and tools pen liys are on there also start with slimlines they are very versatile.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Hi and welcome Kaymania that is a small budget but also a challenge so lets see if we can get you started obviously with that budget we need to find you a good second-hand lathe so I can guarantee you some of the guys on here will start looking for you once that is sorted we will need to find a mandrel to fit the lathe be it 1 or 2mt pen kits you can start whenever you like to stock up the best place is timber bits and with the slimline pen kit the reason I say slimline is they will give you some good practice and they are quite cheep so if you mess up it wont break the bank then chisels all you will need to start with are a roughing gouge or a continental spindle gouge and a skew chisel so I for one will be on the look out for you
Regards Woody

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Hi & welcome :waver:

Ebay's your friend with regard a cheap second hand lathe, this one looks to be a beaut & is in your neck of the woods. axminster Wood Lathe | eBay

But even if that goes above your budget they are always coming up, best of luck :thumbs:

Matt

Registered
Welcome to the forum, you are sure to get some great offers of help on here :winking: keep us posted with your progress so we know what to look out for you :ciggrin:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Hi kaymania and welcome...... You will need a lathe (obviously) a couple of chisels, a pen mandrel, a drill, some pen kits and wooden pen blanks and basically that's it. Slimline pen kits are the cheapest to buy but I don't think that they are the easiest pens to make. If you can master them then the rest of the kits will come easy to you. Best thing is to go on to You Tube and look at some techniques on turning pen blanks (loads of videos on there) .Meanwhile the guys on here will shout you when there is suitable equipment coming up for sale to start you off.:thumbs:.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Welcome Kaymania, The lathe that Doug mentioned would be great if you could get that for under £150. You would then need a few chisels to get you going and some finishing products, oh and some wood which can be sorted when you've got the other bits. £200 will be tight but not impossible.

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
I see you profile say you are in London were about in London as i am just outside London

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
I have a continental gouge that you're welcome to have.

Pm your address and I'll put it in the post for you.

It was free to me ( thx Brian) so I'm happy to pass it on.

Oh and welcome to the best darned forum for anything anywhere.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Welcome from over here Find out if you can buy predrilled blanks for Slimlines a straight forward kit, look at the processes and visit a Wood turning group in your area where help abounds.

Kind regards Peter.

kaymania

Apprentice Member
A BIG thanks to everyone who's responded already, that was really quick!! Thank you Woody for your kind words and Doug/rowdyyates115 I've set my ebay to watch that lathe!

Bellringer, I'm actually in Croydon, near Coulsdon.

PhillH thanks so much for the offer of the cont, gouge - no idea how to PM? Sorry, I'm so new to this forum thing so please bear with me and let me know how, thanks!

Thanks everyone! I will keep you posted with my progress.

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
well i am about 20/25 min up the road near tadworth So could give you a little help to get started if you needed and give you some blanks if you wanted

Jim

Grand Master
Welcome to the forums Kaymania and i wish you all the best in your fight to get your health back ..

As the lads say, Ebay is your friend for a cheap but good lathe, if you do see something you like then make a post in here if you need some help, the guys will respond for sure .. :thumbs:

kaymania

Apprentice Member
That's very kind of you! Could definitely do with a little help - will keep you posted how I'm getting on sourcing what I need, thanks

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).